The good ones - BNTs

I think a big problem with clinics in particular, that result in clinicians behaving badly, is that we all (owners, riders, and clinicians) think that we can fix so much in one day/one weekend, and that’s just not true. The pressure to teach this/fix that simply should not exist in a clinic setting. I’m far from talented enough to teach a full clinic, but I’ve covered for many trainers when they’re away at shows, and there are so many things that I consider basic that are missing in horse/rider combos. I spend most of my time teaching people to let go of their horse’s faces, getting the horses going forward, and establishing trust in the partnership. I rarely teach a “new” concept until lesson 3 or 4. Maybe the people I’ve worked with have skipped the basics, but it happens over and over again. That doesn’t even account for the massive changes in horse management that most of these horses need (that of course I can’t really change as a visiting instructor).

Maybe we should lower our clinic expectations, and start speaking up when we think things are being rushed. Getting a horse to balance themselves long and low on a long rein should be seen as a success for a horse that hasn’t done it. We don’t all need to piaffe at the end of the clinic. :blush:

8 Likes

I think the expectations can be misunderstood. I had a great clinic/symposium with Christoph Hess when my horse was a 4 yr old. He was 17.2 and a born curler. We had three to four horses in each session all the same age. Hess told the other riders in my group to let their horses out long and low. He told me to shorten my reins not ride my horse long and low! He then explained to the auditors that my horse was very loose and lateral and should be ridden up to the hand to strengthen his hind quarters before he was ever to be long and low.

I am adding Hess to the list of the good ones

14 Likes

I completely agree, with you Demerara_Stables.

I would add that people who attend multiple clinics with different clinicians are likely to get conflicting advice. Too many cooks spoiling the broth, you know.

Find one good teacher and stick with 'em.

6 Likes

Bingo.

I once heard a BNT describe being a clinician as frustrating because they fix the horses, then the owners just take them home and screw them up again.

I kind of hate how popular clinics have become. Don’t get me wrong, I love clinics in theory. I love being able to learn from different people who you might not otherwise ride with. But they have become a substitution for regular training/lessons in a lot of circumstances. Not every instructor is a good clinician and not every horse and rider combo can learn in that type of environment.

8 Likes

My hands down favorite of all time.

He did try rough stuff earlier in his career. We spoke of it. Turns out his use of exercises were the way to go.

I worked with Hess. Although his lips move and words against abuse come out, he did not truly defend the horses by calling out LDR. In person, yes he did. But on social media? Nope. We had words about that. He told me to call him. Then no response.

He walks a fine line between 2 worlds. He is not a soldier for equitable riding unless the crowd before him seeks it.

2 Likes

Why should he put himself out there on social media for you?? Your high horse is getting a little ridiculous. He is not an abuser.

16 Likes

I have regular trainer but over the years I’ve really enjoyed clinics and almost always come away with something. I have only ridden with clinicians that were regularly in the area so that there can be a bit of a progression over time. BUT in recent years that’s been a bust. It seems whenever I find a clinician that I click with, the organizers seem to stop bringing them in due to costs. Really bad luck for me as they brought them in for like 6 plus years before that.

There is a local GMO that seems more interested in bringing in the popular and upcoming riders with big social media followings and I’m just not interested in that.

1 Like

He claimed he was anti abuse and then endorsed abusers, so yeah I called him out.

Whether you agree or not is of no importance. It was just a challenge to him being on the good guy list.

1 Like

Was this recent? This is so opposite of what we experienced.

Huh.

I Had a similar Ray Hunt experience - where things went wrong and yet only a couple of us were asking questions and concerned.

Ray had a palomino filly he was working on - he was chatting to the crowd outside that round pen at the same time and just sending that frantic filly round and round and round. Several times she dropped her head, turned to him and asked to come in but he drove her on while bragging abut some previous horse he had fixed.

The filly was finally acknowledged. She was exhausted but very tense. Ray tacked her up… sent her out on the rail again and then abruptly called his helper to get on her. The helper asked Ray to cut his mic - and he did. We saw a somewhat animated conversation which resulted in the helper leaving and Ray called some other guy in… and told him (mic back on) to just get on her and “hang on”. Ummmm what?

The filly took about 3 steps and launched. Ray let go of the rope he had on her. The poor rider lasted about 3 jumps and was pile driven into the ground. EMTs were called. The guy had a broken collarbone and arm and a suspected concussion. He was driven off in an ambulance… the filly had been taken back to the stalls… and oh - Lunch Break!! As if nothing had ever happened. He refused to answer our questions. IMO - and that of many others - he simply rushed that filly along and was not reading her or teaching her a damn thing - but hey, he did not have to get on her soooo…

I was so disappointed.

2 Likes

Wow. Just wow.
Good for that first would be rider who spoke up. He/she probably read the filly correctly and this was not their first Ray rodeo. No pun intended.

5 Likes

I had booked an Anna Buffini clinic before the CDJ controversy and was honestly mortified and almost balked at going. I’ve seen other BNTs not live up to their expectations but had really enjoyed what Anna Buffini had to say, that she seems playful with her horses, not too serious. Admittedly I’m a very beginner at dressage and brought a green bean 4yo so we probably could have worked on a bunch of stuff with someone below Anna’s “pay grade” but I’m an adult ammy who now has money to do some bucket list type things with my pony.

I LOVED riding with her. She lifted up the riders in her clinic, was kind to all the horses, etc. I think we all had a good time and felt like we walked away with something. I rode my 4yo pony who decided to be a bit spicy and we still had a good time - I was laughing, Anna was laughing. We learned some stuff and pony was better going out of the arena than coming in.

28 Likes

Chasing a horse with a whip is a way of helping the rider push the horse more forward. But it doesn’t work for every horse or rider and can go south quickly. Just saying. Not my fave thing to do and have no idea where CD was at in the training process.

The puddle thing with resistant horse is sad as getting the horse to do it twice is a win. And training is about consistently working through things gently and time after time. There is no over coming big resistance in one day. Just doesn’t happen. The best trainers stop when ahead and come back to work another day.

1 Like

Same. Many, many years ago I spent the day at his barn to see about training with him. I wouldn’t let him train a goat.

3 Likes