Unlimited access >

"The Horsey Set Enjoys Puking, Diet Pills, and Diuretics"...

I’ve never heard of it.

send me a copy to!!! Thanks so much!!!
exracer84@hotmail.com

~Shanon~
“Don’t talk about what you have done or what you are going to do–do it and let it speak for itself.” --Martin Vanbee

While I think that there is truth in that article, I really resent the picture painted to look like everyone on the show circuit all around the country supports having eating disorders. It makes it sound like a healthy rider is the exception. My 5’7 114lb. daughter eats like a trucker and competes in at least two scholastic sports each year in addition to riding two horses. She already resents uniformed busybodies implying that she has an eating disorder - she doesn’t - but her best friend, who does not ride, does. Her school (400 students) has ongoing problems with a very high number of girls on the crew team dealing with the issue. Except the coaches don’t seem to think it’s a problem as it serves their needs. The rate at school is much higher that what I have seen in our barn or the circuit in our area in general. The title of the article is purposefully misleading and is the worst part of the article. I will never buy the magazine again.

Everythingbutwings, are you really the Martha Stewart of the Horsey set? That sounds AWESOME! But why the baby quiches? Are you one of those sick monsters or something?
I have eaten horseshow food that makes me want to purge…
I hope JANE saw all the wonderful posts from people who believe that their horses helped to make them better and stronger people. To heck with whatever poop they wrote!

Ride it Like You Stole It…

sorry for generalizing, but quit being micro-anal. Reread my post, I said “it’s highly unlikely.” I always encourage everyone to follow their doctors guidelines for weight and height. Beware of those “plug-in” systems … if a diet company endorses it, it’s probably inaccurate (to make you think you need to lose weight). My friend, coincidentally, just lost 19 lbs. She had an “Herbalicious” diet chart. It said for a man of 6’0" (like me) and medium build (like me) that a realistic weight was 145-162 lbs. Well, at the height of my eating issues, I weighed 148 and in photos I look like a skeleton with a big head. I’m happier and better at 175. My doctor agrees with this. Her chart says I should weigh between 165-185.

Robby

It’s actually, “…and he’s pretty much thought of as the sh!t of the show-jumping world…”

Swift’s Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.

but he’s such a cute old man! like a teddy bear. don’t ya just want to walk up to him and hug him!! huh heidi, huh???LOL ROTFLMAO
ok guys, seriously, I HAVE to write this paper…

Jr*, like Frog said, eating only rice will not help you lose weight. I saw a great show on The Learning Channel that explained from a physiological standpoint what happens when you diet.

First, the body goes into conservation mode. You will first lose a lot of water weight (don’t remember the exact reason for this), inspiring you to continue on with the diet. Then your body weight starts to level off once you’ve shed the water. You then try harder to eat less. And the brain become irritable with the lack of proper nutrients. Finally, you cannot stand it any longer and you binge, gaining all the weight back plus some. Your body thinks it is being starved and it will do whatever is necessary to prevent this from happening, including slower your metabolism.

But there is a way to lose weight…EXERCISE! Naturally you want to cut down on fatty foods and foods with empty calories, but exercise is the key to increasing your metabolism. Exercise builds up muscle, and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even when you are at rest! And the more exercise you do, the healthier you feel, and the more energy you will have to do even more active things, like going for a walk, riding your bike, whatever. And the more time you spend doing those activities, the less time you have to sit around thinking about food!

Being your typical idealistic-to-the-end teenager who argues well, and enjoys it , I can see both sides of the coin. So I’m going to play devil’s advocate.

If you’re going to show in hunters, then you obviously know that it IS subjective and there is a chance that you will be marked down if you don’t fit the perfect picture. Regardless of whether that is right, when you reach the pinacles of a sport the differences become minute and the little things mean the difference between first and middle of the pack.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Or, do something about it other than unproductively moaning.

I also feel that it’s important to treat both horse and rider as athletes. No sensible horseperson would consider giving their horse a hard workout without some sort of warm-up routine, many times a highly detailed one. Yet how many riders even bother to stretch before climbing aboard? Not to mention diet (horse gets carefully balanced grub with a mix of vitamins, supplements, daily wormer, etc. while rider munches day-old pizza or greasy french fries…anyone else see a problem here?).

This train of thought leads me to agree with George Morris. However, I don’t think of it in pounds so much as in fitness levels. An unfit rider is as destructive and dangerous as an unfit horse. And I don’t care whether that unfit rider is fat or skinny. It’s just plain unfair to the horse.

I think it boils down to YOU being fit enough for the job at hand, and is an issue of individual responsibility. If you are a heavier body type, so long as you have the body control and stamina to help your horse do his job, then more power to you. At the same time, I hope these riders are especially aware of the importance of saddle fit, conditioning of their mount, and other horse care to keep the horse healthy and happily performing. Because, regardless of where you stand on any single issue, that’s the ultimate goal.

So, how’d I do? George Jr. or what?

Can someone please send me a copy of the article
shluchan@drew.edu

Ag - I actually recieved an email asking to INTERVIEW me for the article. B/c I don’t like JANE and refuse to support that sort of magazine - I politely declined.

Please please email me so I can see exactly what sort of BS they are swinging here~

Sarah * AKA “Regal’s Person”
http://www.geocities.com/regalmeans
“your light reflected now - reflected from above - we were but stones - your light made us stars”

I liked the part where they said a new “garb” cost $350.00. I wish. You’d be lucky to get the jacket for that.

I thought the article was juvenile and was not pleased with the presentation of the riding culture. Also the other parts weren’t even that interesting or educational. Cosmo is a hands up winner. Jane sucks. or better Jane ain’t the
sh!t.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Megan & Tequilla:
So, how’d I do? George Jr. or what? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent post!!

PLEASE SEND ME A COPY! g I’m dying to know what these overly uninformed people had to say.

Horse4me2@aol.com

• L.

“I’m here, but I’m really gone.”

I just read the article, and must agree with Portia, et al, who did not find it offensive. In fact, the tone of the article did not differ much from many of the weight discussions we have had on these forums. The author used examples of both healthy and unhealthy riders, and was very balanced in presenting what I think we all know is a real problem. I respectfully disagree with the poster who said she felt the article portrayed everyone on the circuit as “supporting” eating disorders. I think it simply showed that the pressure to be thin exists in the horse show world, as it does in many other sports, that it can be very destructive, and that there are many people who are blind to the problem.

I am planning to save the article to show my non-horsey friends and therapist to whom I have been trying to explain the body image pressure I feel as a rider. (I often say “I don’t think I’m a fat person, I think I’m a fat rider” Unhealthy, I know, but I’m working on it).

I agree that the tag line was tasteless, but the title and the rest of the article I think was right on.

(and if anyone knows the therapist, Kristen Humann, that was quoted in the article and has her email, I think I rode with her as a junior, and would love to get in touch with her).

Oooh! Send me a copy as well…my curiousity is getting the better of me! never have read Jane…the extent of my “girl power” magazine is the occasional Cosmo…LOL. Yes…I watch my weight very carefully these days…don’t want that “Ghetto Booty” to come back & haunt me…but the logic escapes me (equestrienne or not): Why would you eat a perfectly good meal & then either puke it up or for lack of better word, poop it out!? What a waste However, a water pill every now & then doesn’t hurt…except that you have to stay within running distance of a bathroom for about 4 hours. I take one about once or twice a month (for obvious reasons!) Perhaps I am walking around with blinders on…but everyone I see at shows seems to look pretty healthy to me. SUZ

I agree with you! I have read in a few magazines that at 5’0" (which is what I am and forever will be), I should be 95 pounds! Uh, yeah right, what planet are YOU on? Lets try 5’0" and 155. I know some people are like, “Um you are WAY overweight, girl!” Which in a way, I am. But in another way, I have huge breasts (a size C or D, I can’t remember) and really WIDE hips. I told my mom that I wanted to lose 30 pounds before next summer(for the show season) and she was like good luck. She told me that I am way too, um, ENDOWED, to lose beyond anything like 10 or even 20 pounds if I am lucky! And she knows what she’s talking about because she’s been working in a doctor’s office forever!:slight_smile: I will always wish to be tall and thin, but that won’t happen to me in this lifetime! Instead, I hope to get into an exersize(sp?) program, eat well and get some muscle on me by next year’s show season. If not, so beat it. I personally just wish that some trainers, judges, riders, parents etc. would stop worrying about what their kid(s) weighed and start worrying about whether they can RIDE a 1200 pound animal over a course of jumps!
I say, let the best RIDER win, not who has the best body! For gosh sake’s, if you want to get judgeded on your body, go enter a beauty pagent!

okay, not about the ENJOYING part, but honestly, I’ve had a bowl of rice and 24 8-oz servings of water today. My trainer is CRUEL to me! it’s the only thing he’s tough about (god forbid he be tough about my riding). the thing is I really am overweight. I hate it and it’s not good for me, but it’s an inherent part of the A-circuit jr. set. This is sad, but honestly, the first thing I though when I read that blurb on their website was “God, i WISH i was the skinniest girl in the barn”. I don’t like the way Jane makes it glamorous in some way, and I think everyone here knows that the only reason that article is in there is b/c Michael Kors and RL had anorexic models strutting the catwalks in boots and breeches this fall (equestrian chic, dahling), but there is a more and a kernel of truth in the headline. Donning plus-size flame suit.

Jr*, I think Grandpappy George would prefer to be hugged by our trainer.

Would someone please send me the article?

chiquitabanana86@yahoo.com

http://user.boardnation.com/ythejuniorsclique/board.cgi
Junior Clique!

Magnolia - Great email to Jane. You could not have said it any better.

I have noticed an increasing trend amoung juniors to be extra skinny for the Eq. I hope their is little truth in this article, but I doubt what truth there is applies just to riding. The wafe models are everywhere and the pressure to be super skinny is there whether you ride or not. I would be interested if anyone knows of any real studies on eating disorders and riding vs. the regular female population. I doubt the numbers for riding are much different that the numbers for the regular female population.