Unlimited access >

The Thoroughbred Company - Beware!

I know someone who had first hand experience with this group. PT me if you want more info.

[QUOTE=Star’s Ascent;7255173]
No problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy!

I wish there were people that run this type of program-meaning bringing in pretty much all OTTB’s and restarting them and finding them new homes not running a shady program!-around here. You get barns that will bring in a few every now and then but not a totally dedicated program. That would be neat to have.[/QUOTE]

I agree. And make a profit, sure, but be affordable.

[QUOTE=ParadoxFarm;7255227]
I agree. And make a profit, sure, but be affordable.[/QUOTE]

There is. Cant say enough good things about Adena Springs retirement program in Ontario.

They are all farm-owned horses that either never made it to the track, or retired sound. They wont let you just go find a horse, they want to ask you what your riding goals are, the qualities you are looking for in a horse and your intended use. From there, they will show you any suitable horses. They often only have a handful in the training program at one time. They are in the same barn as the high amateur jumpers and equitation horses, and get to use the same riding facilities.

They release all medical records to you. They also trailer the horse to your property which is included in the purchase price, as if they don’t feel its a good home they will turn right around.

Cant say enough good things about the program, the care the horses get and the two ladies who run it are just phenominal. Oh…and the pricetag for mine was only 500. Unraced, totally sound and lightly started. He’s a dream, and I wouldn’t hesitate purchasing from them again.

Squishthebunny…too bad they don’t deliver to TN! Sounds like an awesome place. Good to hear.

Squish - I thought they were based in Florida. I acquired a non raced gangly oops I grew too fast as a two year old from their ky site. My vet referred me to them as my good mare was pregnant at the time and I needed something to keep going. Turned out to be a complete joy to deal with. I gave him time to grow up and he matured beautifully. I took him as my horse of choice with me to Canada where he blossomed. It is also great to see a farm taking responsibility for what they bred. I love it. Problem is a lot of the horse farms realize that to turn these horses correctly they have to first let them down and second require an experienced person to restart them properly so they are safe. Takes time that unfortunately a farm without another main source of income finds it difficult to make the needed income. Why you see new vocations or canter placed horses amidst others. If you are interested in a ottb in ky second stride in Louisville is excellent to deal with and very upfront.

Anybody notice the amazing drop noseband in all the sales horses pictures? One doesn’t even go below the bit… Just silly, I hope people don’t honestly fall for these crazy stories.

I second what Squish said. A few years ago, there was a woman who got a few horses from them and she was reselling them w/o disclosing the whole story. Somehow, it got back to them… well, that did not go very well AT ALL. I can’t remember the details, but basically, that woman was run out of town and the horses recovered.

I think they have barns in the US as well, but I know more of the one in Ontario.

Very Happy Customer - Wanted to Stand up and Shout!

Hi All. My name is Lehia and I just signed up today so I could tell my experience with Sandra, and her company. I’ll lay out all the facts so no one can claim this is her, or that I am BSing. I live outside of Philadelphia, PA. I purchased a 2009 gelding from her mid November I believe. You can look him up on her site, or just google the name… Tanglewood Dreams. I saw all these comments and posts everywhere… which is very limited with physical details, or real meat and potatoes “facts” to stray me either way. Seems like a few people - who over and over again post and comment about Sandra and her company/companies in a ruthless manor. Maybe she changes company names because its borderline slander what she is having done with her. I saw maybe one post where someone claimed to have bought a horse. If this women and her company is so terrible… where are all these angry upset clients? Every couple days there is a horse moved from sale to sold… business keeps rolling… and yet I don’t see any real complaints that she is doing anyone dirty. Second - she has the return policy - which I believe to be a true testament in her guarantee of her horses… that if you don’t think that horse will work for you… for any reason she will let you trade the horse in for another? Never heard of that before… I think it was a fabulous selling feature. I back my product up to the point if you are unhappy - send him/her back, and pick another. I just saw on Facebook a rescue adopted out a horse only to be returned because the adopters husband was afraid of the horse. You act like a return policy is the worst thing ever? Sandra was professional - she answered all my questions, she arranged to have my horse picked up for transport literally with less than three hours to prep. She was a dream to work with. She checks up on me… she cares about these horses. The third thing I wanted to point out - is why is everyone knocking the fact she takes the horse everyone is throwing away? She takes the unwanted and trains them or figures out what they are able to handle. She then offers them for a great rate so she can continue to take these horses in and give them a chance at a new life. I live less than a hour from the largest Meat Buying Auction house east of the Mississippi! - I see washed up well bred horses with brokers as rescues rush to get the money to save them. Before everyone sits and writes out another nasty conversation about Churchill whatever - take a minute and think - what are you doing to help the off the track left overs? What promises are you making to clients about your animals? Are you even helping the horse community? Its very easy to sit behind a computer and nit pick and trash talk someone. I only hope that there are twice as many people like I, who took the time to really look for examples - talk to the women, or plain trust your gut. Tanglewood Dreams “Tango” is a dream of a horse. He is the sweet as can be, jumps honest, well behaved, gorgeous in person, and just an all around fantastic find. I am so thankful I found him. He is everything I wanted and more. We will start competing together come this Spring and I hope to share how well we have done… because of Sandra’s training of Tango. I am very thankful I took a chance and trusted my instincts and bought him. I hope that anyone who has considered Churchill or is looking now - please do your homework - don’t go off a couple threads here on this site. Thank you for taking the time to read, I apologize for any misspellings or grammar issues, I am using my phone. All the best, Lehia

I encourage all of you to view Thethoroughbredcompany.com. and comment here.

Choo-choo…

[QUOTE=Lehia;7348901]
Hi All. My name is Lehia and I just signed up today so I could tell my experience with Sandra, and her company. I’ll lay out all the facts so no one can claim this is her, or that I am BSing. I live outside of Philadelphia, PA. I purchased a 2009 gelding from her mid November I believe. You can look him up on her site, or just google the name… Tanglewood Dreams. I saw all these comments and posts everywhere… which is very limited with physical details, or real meat and potatoes “facts” to stray me either way. Seems like a few people - who over and over again post and comment about Sandra and her company/companies in a ruthless manor. Maybe she changes company names because its borderline slander what she is having done with her. I saw maybe one post where someone claimed to have bought a horse. If this women and her company is so terrible… where are all these angry upset clients? Every couple days there is a horse moved from sale to sold… business keeps rolling… and yet I don’t see any real complaints that she is doing anyone dirty. Second - she has the return policy - which I believe to be a true testament in her guarantee of her horses… that if you don’t think that horse will work for you… for any reason she will let you trade the horse in for another? Never heard of that before… I think it was a fabulous selling feature. I back my product up to the point if you are unhappy - send him/her back, and pick another. I just saw on Facebook a rescue adopted out a horse only to be returned because the adopters husband was afraid of the horse. You act like a return policy is the worst thing ever? Sandra was professional - she answered all my questions, she arranged to have my horse picked up for transport literally with less than three hours to prep. She was a dream to work with. She checks up on me… she cares about these horses. The third thing I wanted to point out - is why is everyone knocking the fact she takes the horse everyone is throwing away? She takes the unwanted and trains them or figures out what they are able to handle. She then offers them for a great rate so she can continue to take these horses in and give them a chance at a new life. I live less than a hour from the largest Meat Buying Auction house east of the Mississippi! - I see washed up well bred horses with brokers as rescues rush to get the money to save them. Before everyone sits and writes out another nasty conversation about Churchill whatever - take a minute and think - what are you doing to help the off the track left overs? What promises are you making to clients about your animals? Are you even helping the horse community? Its very easy to sit behind a computer and nit pick and trash talk someone. I only hope that there are twice as many people like I, who took the time to really look for examples - talk to the women, or plain trust your gut. Tanglewood Dreams “Tango” is a dream of a horse. He is the sweet as can be, jumps honest, well behaved, gorgeous in person, and just an all around fantastic find. I am so thankful I found him. He is everything I wanted and more. We will start competing together come this Spring and I hope to share how well we have done… because of Sandra’s training of Tango. I am very thankful I took a chance and trusted my instincts and bought him. I hope that anyone who has considered Churchill or is looking now - please do your homework - don’t go off a couple threads here on this site. Thank you for taking the time to read, I apologize for any misspellings or grammar issues, I am using my phone. All the best, Lehia[/QUOTE]

Quoting, just in case.

HOUSEGUESTS!!

Woo! Does this make it the first house-be-guested thread of 2014?

To Lehia
I am embarrass to say I am one who got suckered into one of her horses. I did not do enough research and did not know about COTH having a “search” from past info.
My story is under Churchill Hunt club. When I posted that story I received 9 PM’s asking what was I going to do and how they got screwed. One was going to sued. This girl lied about everything and the hauler she wanted to use was a friend who only would haul if she had a full trailer and lot more expensive then a commercial hauler. I found my own.
I even posted pictures of what the horse looked like when it arrived. The driver even said to me " glad to see this boy has a better home, looks like he needs some TLC" My mistake was I was looking for the bloodline. I had a half brother to this one. This horse had mental problems and shoulder problems that really would not of been detected unless a good trainer was actually riding the horse and putting it to work. She never did ride him as she stated in her ad. I contacted the racetrack trainer on this horse and boy did I get an ear full about Sandra. All negative stuff.
I then knew I was in trouble.
So Lehia you are just a lucky person.

Bumping up a months old thread is generally not a great way to defend anybody on here.

No, I never bought from her but got involved in these threads in response to Feeltheride,story. The CHC website at the time contained some misleading statements about being a very successful, well known show barn with wonderful success and, as a locally active exhibitor who never heard of them or found any record of show results for them in 3 state clubs or USEF? I spoke up.

And nobody’s under any obligation to buy any particular type of horse out of any background if they don’t want to. That does not make a person unworthy, just honest about what they can and cannot do and/or what they enjoy.

All my Hunters were TBs, none right off the track. Too little time to do a proper job…and too old anymore. Pay more for finished and proven in new career. But I routinely recommend New Vocations…TBs have nothing to do with my opinion, it’s the humans.

I actually have seen them at a show. Once. About 6 years ago with 2 nice level 3ish jumpers, both gray, they did quite well with. Don’t recall exactly but I’d guess Holsteiner by the tongue twister German names and overall build. Definitely NOT out there promoting right off the track TBs. Never saw them again or could find any results. Then not too long after that show, maybe a year or two, the CHC thread started up and I go to that website and viola, there’s the grey jumper.

So not really making stuff up here to be mean or diss TBs.

Can’t scroll to edit on the relic of an iPad so I’ll just add when I saw them at that show, they did not enter under any farm name, just as individuals. Only when I went to the CHC website did I make the connection.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread…I have been looking at her ads for a while and always wondered about them…

[QUOTE=Old Mac Donald;7349729]
HOUSEGUESTS!!

Woo! Does this make it the first house-be-guested thread of 2014?[/QUOTE]

No, that would be the Nick P thread over on the dressage forum. Quite the houseguest on that one!

[QUOTE=Lehia;7348901]
Hi All. My name is Lehia and I just signed up today so I could tell my experience with Sandra, and her company. I’ll lay out all the facts so no one can claim this is her, or that I am BSing. I live outside of Philadelphia, PA. I purchased a 2009 gelding from her mid November I believe. You can look him up on her site, or just google the name… Tanglewood Dreams. I saw all these comments and posts everywhere… which is very limited with physical details, or real meat and potatoes “facts” to stray me either way. Seems like a few people - who over and over again post and comment about Sandra and her company/companies in a ruthless manor. Maybe she changes company names because its borderline slander what she is having done with her. I saw maybe one post where someone claimed to have bought a horse. If this women and her company is so terrible… where are all these angry upset clients? Every couple days there is a horse moved from sale to sold… business keeps rolling… and yet I don’t see any real complaints that she is doing anyone dirty. Second - she has the return policy - which I believe to be a true testament in her guarantee of her horses… that if you don’t think that horse will work for you… for any reason she will let you trade the horse in for another? Never heard of that before… I think it was a fabulous selling feature. I back my product up to the point if you are unhappy - send him/her back, and pick another. I just saw on Facebook a rescue adopted out a horse only to be returned because the adopters husband was afraid of the horse. You act like a return policy is the worst thing ever? Sandra was professional - she answered all my questions, she arranged to have my horse picked up for transport literally with less than three hours to prep. She was a dream to work with. She checks up on me… she cares about these horses. The third thing I wanted to point out - is why is everyone knocking the fact she takes the horse everyone is throwing away? She takes the unwanted and trains them or figures out what they are able to handle. She then offers them for a great rate so she can continue to take these horses in and give them a chance at a new life. I live less than a hour from the largest Meat Buying Auction house east of the Mississippi! - I see washed up well bred horses with brokers as rescues rush to get the money to save them. Before everyone sits and writes out another nasty conversation about Churchill whatever - take a minute and think - what are you doing to help the off the track left overs? What promises are you making to clients about your animals? Are you even helping the horse community? Its very easy to sit behind a computer and nit pick and trash talk someone. I only hope that there are twice as many people like I, who took the time to really look for examples - talk to the women, or plain trust your gut. Tanglewood Dreams “Tango” is a dream of a horse. He is the sweet as can be, jumps honest, well behaved, gorgeous in person, and just an all around fantastic find. I am so thankful I found him. He is everything I wanted and more. We will start competing together come this Spring and I hope to share how well we have done… because of Sandra’s training of Tango. I am very thankful I took a chance and trusted my instincts and bought him. I hope that anyone who has considered Churchill or is looking now - please do your homework - don’t go off a couple threads here on this site. Thank you for taking the time to read, I apologize for any misspellings or grammar issues, I am using my phone. All the best, Lehia[/QUOTE]

Lehia (if that is who you are), I am glad something worked out, and I dare say rarely something might simply because the horse was okay and the purchaser was experienced with green horses (not neccessarily OTTB’s but any novice or young horse). Sometimes we all get lucky.

As for my experience with Sandra Lattanzio well, it progressed from my previous post. On request of the client, I contacted her again to set up going to see the horses Seattle Memo and Harbor Spirit. Upon discussion, I asked her who her vet she typically uses is (I do this routinely because I’ve found several people used same vet or practice I did and I know I will get honest assessment from them). Also with the same mindset of if it was that practice, I was a LONG established client with them and knew they would be willing to issue the bill to me directly. I had discussed this with the well trusted client (wasn’t my first dealing and we had done this arrangement previously as we knew the practice was more than competent and was easier for her so I could set everything up including transport - the horse would be coming to stay with me for a little bit before reaching his final destination). Sandra was offended by me asking even despite my explaining the reason for it (KY has several VERY competent vets and I wouldn’t insult someone’s vet even if I didn’t care for them personally). She promptly informed me that she never allowed someone else’s vet to do the exam. I informed her at that point, there was no point in continuing the discussion further as neither I nor my client was interested if she wouldn’t disclose her vet (I always ask for previous vet records to be released with the horse - helps if there is something unusual or difficult to diagnose pop up that you can look back on and say, well this this and this - and put you on the right direction). At that point realizing they were considering two horses, she asked who my vet was. This is when it got interesting - I stated who it was. A very competent performance horse vet in the area that cares for two of the largest jumper farms in the area with world class riders. She promptly informed me that the practice, but this vet in particular was unreasonable and had “flexed a horse to the point of being lame for several days” and then demanded radiographs without shoes on. And to top it off was rude. Ummm, don’t see that one happening but okay. This vet has done PPE for me on multiple horses for myself, clients, and even potential buyers (from out of area and I have always released all records in my possession with my horses) without this ever being the case. On occasion there were things found that I was able to address before it became an issue, or that caused me to state the horse was not suitable for a particular purpose. And he has NEVER been rude. He is one of the kindest vets I know, extremely personable with clients and their barn staff. She informed me there was no way this vet or anyone from the practice was setting foot on her farm. I was also informed that a test ride was not possible (despite fact I have worked on the track and retrained several OTTB). She also stated that her goal time on them was 30 days max.That ended that discussion.

As to what do I do for the OTTB and for people that purchase them ? I support rehoming facilities, but also work to rehome a few a year myself. Taking them in, giving them time, ensuring what their physical and mental situation is, and then restarting them. The live like horses without pressure - no faster than they can progress. I take into account if they are 3, they are still growing and may take a little more time. I don’t hang onto them for years, but six month time frame is average and they’ve likely been to a schooling show or two so people purchasing know they have at least been there. What do I do for the clients ? Provide them with a horse that I have a pretty good idea about and know it’s physical story. Give them full vet records (or a copy of if they want their personal vet to review - can be done vet to vet transfer to prevent suspicion alterations by me), provide them with my contact info for them to stay up to date with me if any issues arise. I’m happy to help them if a problem arises and they request it, if they don’t know of someone to assist them and I am not able to help, refer them to someone that is knowledgeable, and inform them that if they cannot keep the horse it always has an option of returning to me (though they have full rights to sell - but if they end up with an unsellable horse due to injury or whatever it can come back to me). I will do whatever I can to help. I want the best for the horses, it is my reputation at stake, and while people may not agree with my time frame, or some of my ideas, NONE are going to harm the horse or be questioned as inhumane. Too bad Sandra is down the road from a VERY reputable horse woman, that I would buy a horse off of immediately if I could afford it, but she mainly deals in warmbloods though the occasional OTTB if a students)

[QUOTE=Lehia;7348901]

At least Sandra’s grammar and spelling has somewhat approved :slight_smile:

My experience (Should have done my research before even contacting)

Usually I do my research before ever contacting anyone. When you don’t you end up wishing you had.
So I was perusing on equinenow.com looking for a greenie to bring along. I contacted Sandra Lattanzio because I noticed that she had a horse (Sello) listed for $12000 on equinenow.com but when going to her website (which is now named Thoroughbred Athletes or something) in her contact page all horses are listed as $2500 as they are on equinenow.com so I asked her if that was a typo and if the horse had any show history etc. I should have looked around on her website a little more before I went directly to the contact page because what a train wreck.
In turn I received a somewhat snarky email about my questions that I should have read her website. She informed that they have a select program of horses you can buy for $4500 but these are not listed on equinenow.com. One would think that you would make sure that all the information you put out there advertising your horses all matches up, and also when you are approached by potential buyers you conduct yourself in a professional manner. Major Red Flags!
Needless to say I didn’t find it necessary to communicate with her any further however I am disappointed how exactly her purchasing your horse via PayPal works and the return policy works.