Unlimited access >

Thoroughbred Sport Horses aka Churchill Hunt Club aka many other names

Eclipse award in what? Don’t seem to be listed as finalists anywhere, can’t imagine what category they would even be in the preliminaries for. I’d have that on my website for sure.

If anybody is bored and you have not gone into the archives and searched these people, try under Churchill TBs, there area couple of really good, entertaining trainwrecks with ridiculous claims ( like the Canadian team one), them popping in to defend themselves with said ridiculous claims and, of course, houseguests. Nice way to kill time on a very cold day

eventr5218? You realize we need an update? And whatever happened to the COTHer trying to use their return policy?

I will do my best since I don’t drive past the farm anymore. I remember last summer at the Horse Park the daughter who told everyone they were going to Wellington this winter (who they are not connected with at all remember) took her stallion that “everybody” wants to breed to and was riding it around the outdoor arena schooling. It was terrifying and everyone was just sitting there watching the train wreck it was. Basically everyone else who was schooling at the time vacated the arena immediately it was that scary.
I would love to go in as a “potential” buyer and take a look at all the horses they have pictures posted of because the body score on some of the horse that were turned out in the fields is a 3 at best :frowning:
Also remember when they got called out on here for stealing a picture off the internet of a Chronicle poster and passing it off as one of their horses and riders. Well the picture of the big house in the woods on the top of the page is certainly not their farm at all and definitely not their home! It certainly is very nice though whoever lives there lol :lol:

Wow…some trains somehow just refuse to run off the tracks. :slight_smile: That’s funny about the picture of the house. :slight_smile: I remember the pic of the horse and rider that were not part of their team. Sigh. :no:

And this is a Thoroughbred Sport Hordes :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ETCRqm0R0
OMG people these are not big words!

[QUOTE=findeight;7657829]
Heat.her had pictures of leading International superstars with captions indicating they worked with her…including a grey over open water with… ??? Can’t remember who. Oh, and Heath.er also posted a Pony as hers that belonged to a young COTHER and that one really hit the fan.[/QUOTE]

The grey over the open water on heat.her’s page was Leslie (Burr) Howard, I believe.

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8001517]
The grey over the open water on heat.her’s page was Leslie (Burr) Howard, I believe.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they are related!
All I know is that the farms surrounding the one the Lattanzios rented are doing a happy dance they don’t have to look at that dump anymore. Hopefully someone will come in and clean it up and hopefully they will do something about those poor skinny horses!

OH YEAHHHH. I was totally getting bored.

spellcheck???

I would like to commend our latest houseguest for their use of paragraphs. That seems to a lost art amongst houseguests.

1 Like

[QUOTE=hannah619;8048221]
Holy crap, I didn’t realize people here had enough time on their hands to post 12,000 times. Nevermind y’all. I have a job. Obviously wasted energy.[/QUOTE]

Just some quick math here:

Laurierace has been a member for 11 years and 1 day (how convenient!) or roughly 4016 days (I am not accounting for leap years, forgive me) or roughly 96,384 hours. At the time of this posting, she had posted 20,750 times.

20750(posts)/96384(hours)= .215 posts/hour

Laurierace posts roughly 1 post ever 4.5 hours or 5 posts a day.

By contrast, hannah619:
Assuming you became a member and them immediately posted you have been a member for roughly 2 hours. At the time of posting, you had posted 5 times.

5(posts)/2(hours)= 2.5 posts/hour or 60 posts per day.

If you continue on the trajectory, by the time you reach Laurierace’s current hours total (96,384) you will have posted 240,960 times.

So yes, I suppose it would be good if you focused on work or perhaps your new horse.

1 Like

[QUOTE=hannah619;8048270]
What is your problem?[/QUOTE]

Right now? That I can’t find new boots that will fit for $400 or less (or even at $400).

All I did was throw some math out there. If you don’t like what it’s telling you, reinterpret it.

I do pick my “battles” (note, I’m at ~ .0165 posts/hour) and I’m “picking” this one.

A) I’m a sucker for statistics.
B) I grow weary of new posters coming, posting something controversial and then, after they don’t like responses, saying “Well you must all be losers to waste so much time on a forum”.
C) I consider any business that allegedly profits off the misfortunes of OTTBs to be very much my concern.

You can not like me or my posts, but I’ll still be here. If you plan on sticking around, I suggest you make use of the ignore feature. Just click my name in this post and it should link you!

2 Likes

I should not go to bed so early…miss the fun sometimes.

While we are on the topic of numbers of posts, how does someone have zero posts?

So basically you have spent all this time writing testimonials about this horse and zero time actually riding it.

Jill Burnell of Gray Fox Farm did NOT screw me over in any of my dealings with her. She did exactly what she was supposed to do at every step of the process and my filly is everything I could have hoped for and then some. You didn’t see me singing her praises at her hearings for animal cruelty. You didn’t see me posting on her threads where person after person was sharing their tales of fraud and broken contracts. Just because I got lucky and didn’t get screwed over didn’t negate all the people who did. Instead I joined with them in spreading the word high and low that she was not someone anyone should ever do business with and multiple times had stolen pictures of my filly removed from her advertising. i did not want a single person to be victimized because they liked my filly. You might want to think about that greenie with zero? posts.

1 Like

To hannah619

Bless your heart!

[QUOTE=hannah619;8048117]
I blew my afternoon reading through the posts on here referencing this place. I also blew my cool and got to the barn all paranoid and worked up.

It seems like there are two, and only two, instances of personal experience with horses from here that are continually linked back to, along with lots of eye rolling, judgment, and hearsay.

In one instance, it sounds like bone chips were discovered in the horse well after it was received. Those can happen anytime and are a big risk in OTTBs. Additionally it sounds like the person with this unfortunate experience has personal financial difficulties that are going to keep him/her from treating what is overall not a very serious ailment (although expensive and time consuming, certainly).

In the other instance, a person says her horse came off the trailer skinny, .2 HH shorter than expected, and was not “black.” A true black TB, or any breed, is rare. Lots of horses look black one season and lighten with the weather. Simply pulling the horse’s pedigree up on equibase.com would have informed the buyer what the horse’s registered color was. Other posts address the obvious, that TBs are not commonly measured because it doesn’t matter as much in the racing world as in other disciplines. There are no six foot jockeys.

Finally, TBs are notoriously difficult to put weight on. To non-OTTB people, they usually look skinny even at a perfectly healthy weight. Stress and diet change and a long trailer ride are more than enough for a horse to look “skinny.”

Oh, and there was a comment about the horse having a winter coat. Horses get winter coats. I personally find them ugly and would prefer a shiny summer horse too. But give me a break. You can read debates all day about stabling vs. paddock, blanketing vs. not blanketing, and there’s no right or wrong, just opinion. The fact of the matter is in winter, horses grow winter coats.

What was utterly ridiculous was at the end of that complainant’s thread, she finally admitted that the horse turned out to be performing successfully.

From my browsing through the horses sold by this place, it appears the vast majority are bottom-level claiming horses. This isn’t a knock on the seller (on the racing industry, maybe). I think we all know, and hate, where unproductive gelded racehorse running claiming races and earning little to nothing ends up.

So this seller charges $2,500 for a horse that’s probably worth, at his current stage in life, one dollar a pound. Too much? Depends. Do you want to go scour auctions looking for the perfect horse? Do you think a $2,500 horse is going to go for just a dollar a pound at auction? Do you get a chance to review the horse’s race history, breeding, soundness, get a PPE at auction?

I don’t think this seller holds itself out to be the same as an “adoption” group like CANTER or RERUN. Chiefly, you get a tattooed horse that you can sell if you want to. You could actually get an investment here, in that you can resell the horse after you put some mileage and training into him (and the seller does not purport in anyway to have reschooled the horses for whatever discipline you ride). Believe it or not, some people actually want to make money in the horse business. Buying from here gives you the opportunity to invest and make a return on your investment in a horse. I know that many good hearted souls think that’s wrong, but so be it. It’s reality.

I think it’s imperative to look up a potential OTTB on equibase.com. Did he have a six month layoff between races? Don’t buy him. Did he race consistently, but not too much? He’s probably sound. Look at his breeding. Learn about TB breeding, if you don’t know about it. Look for a sound line. Look for a line that’s not notoriously hot.

Look at the date of his last race. Again, this seller is in no way holding itself out to be training or reschooling these horses. Most of them are just off the track. If you don’t want to reschool or know how or have the patience to reschool an OTTB to be a normal horse, you shouldn’t buy from here. You shouldn’t buy an OTTB without lots of off track training. Guess what–those ones usually cost more.

For the record, and it seems like this will only be the third ACTUAL experience with this seller discussed on these forums, I know I took a huge risk buying this horse. I knew from the date of his last race that he is fresh off the track. I knew from the value of the races and his performance in them makes him a candidate for slaughter. I’m glad I paid more for him than $1 a pound, because he’s in better hands now.

I researched his race record and he’s as sound as that suggests. I am deeply familiar with TB breeding and know his lineage–not the best producers of racehorses, but sound, sane, durable, and decent with hunter lines.

I know that from the video the seller sent, he was ridden in a tight martingale in a two point and being worked on hard to do normal-horse stuff. I haven’t gotten on him yet and I won’t until he’s lived life as a normal horse for awhile.

The seller was easy to communicate with, returned my phone calls, talked openly. I didn’t know a thing about and could care less about her grammar (I’m a lawyer and and English major. I see stuff in my barn labeled “DO NOT TUCH.” Grammar and horses have nothing to do with one another. Did you know that horses don’t speak English, or any other language? Give me a break. I’ve ridden horses from abroad where they literally don’t speak the language you are all hyped up about being grammatically correct).

The seller didn’t really make me any promises, nor did I ask for them, but she said the horse was calm and sensible, got on well with other horses and was sound. So far, all of those things are true. She speculated he’ll be a good adult amateur hunter. She can’t know that for sure and I won’t go banging down her door if it turns out he isn’t. I could tell from equibase.com that the horse was a mudder, and she has a relationship enough with the trainer he came from to confirm that. (One final thing about equibase–you can pay like $5 to watch all the archived races you want. Do it. See how your potential horse moves, how he comes up after a race. If you can’t evaluate those things, don’t buy an OTTB). No one knows what a horse will be able to do. But he’s impressive and I do not feel taken for a ride.

I feel like these posts are an example of the worst things the internet, and horse people, do. There’s a lot of speculation-based opining, and it may actually deter people from buying a horse from a place that is legitimately doing good–buying slaughter-bound horses and reselling them for a teensy profit. I hope the ranting ends here.

I got a great horse from this seller. Like any horse, you never know and anything could happen, no matter how much you research or what anyone says. With an OTTB, you have to know what you are getting yourself into–he has NOT lived the same life as the rest of your horses or been trained the same way. That doesn’t make him not worth it. You just have to understand it. If you don’t understand notorious basic qualities of TBs like bad feet and “skinniness” and sensitivity, you aren’t ready for one.

I think this seller saved my horse from slaughter and he’s going to have a great second career. Please stop the bashing. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Post 0 since nobody else quoted it. This tribute does not address the past history of fraud, non payment or even begin to explain the “Eclipse Award” claim (see the Racing Forum) and other claims like the Canadian SJ Team one that dwarf the usual questionable horse sales practices.

BTW, post history says 2 of 8 and shows only the 2 on this post? What hapoened to the other 6?

1 Like

[QUOTE=findeight;8050181]
Post 0 since nobody else quoted it. This tribute does not address the past history of fraud, non payment or even begin to explain the “Eclipse Award” claim (see the Racing Forum) and other claims like the Canadian SJ Team one that dwarf the usual questionable horse sales practices.

BTW, post history says 2 of 8 and shows only the 2 on this post? What hapoened to the other 6?[/QUOTE]

Exactly where did all the posts go?
If you want to get on here and defend someone than stand by your posts and leave them up. Deleting them only undermines every thing you said in the first place! Well done! :lol:

1 Like

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]On the massage therapy testimonial pages I just couldnt get through the bull crap. This one the most:

“I*have a 4 yr old race horse (never raced), had all kinds of neck, back and body problems. ATI worked with him for a month. Forth race at Churchill Downs, horse was given 98 to 1 odds (very bad in horse race world), “jack” was up against very good horses. Jack won race by three lengths and I attribute most of this to the manual therapy… Jim was asked to be in the winner’s photo.”

ARE YOU KIDDING ME