Unlimited access >

WEG Pratoni 2022

Yes it looks good for the future, just have to get EC as excited about it as the riders are lol

I believe the $250k was to cover flights and travel and accommodation for the riders only. I’m just happy they made the goal and are all able to go.

Fingers crossed for great rides from everyone.

2 Likes

Just read Lauren’s comment on EN regarding the xc course:

“I think [the selectors] really picked the right group of horses for it because it’s extremely steep and hilly while also they utilize a lot of the terrain they have,” Lauren continued. “A combination of big massive five-star fences and also ‘terrain-y’ little skip through things."

I hope everyone has their fitness up to snuff. It seems like team USA is constantly falling prey to “fitness overconfidence.” I’m sure Vermiculus and Thomas will be okay given their high % of blood, but the other three might have a harder time.

Tsetserleg actually has quite a low blood percentage (47%), but of course has a significant amount of 5* experience and hasn’t had issues with fitness over tracks at that level. The same can be said for Mai Baum (31%) and Off the Record (40%).

Leamore Master Plan and Vermiculus have very high blood percentages (80% and 100% respectively) and have galloped around the biggest tracks in the world (both have jumped clear around Burghley, LMP has also jumped clear around Badminton). Vermiculus might not have the fastest turn of foot, but I’ve never seen him tired.

I do believe they picked the right team for this track. They picked true five star cross country horses, with an incredible depth of experience. WEG will be big, and Giuseppe will be clever and use every tool in his box, but it is still technically a four star cross country test. If this team fails, it will not be because they were not up to the challenge.

5 Likes

I agree LMP should not have an issue based on his past XC performances. I have seen Thomas tired (fell at KY) so hopefully he has a new fitness plan. BUG of course was made for Patroni. Can’t wait to see him go out there.

I would say his fall at Kentucky was due to fitness.

I disagree…I think Thomas’ fall at Kentucky was rider error…Boyd said that he cut the corner too tight and was approaching too fast… similar to the explanation from William Fox-Pitt…too much speed and angle for the fence.

2 Likes

I don’t know if we are talking about the same fall, there was no angle, it was a log on top of a hill and the horse was labored coming into it, I knew the fall was coming before it happened. I agree though he was coming in too fast. I think if he was fitter he would have been able to make it over safely, just moo of course.

I know Vermiculus is a fan favorite but I’m not. Vermiculus has always picked up time penalties on XC plus is always good for pulling rails in stadium. I wouldn’t have picked this horse for a twisty hill course like Pratoni.

6 Likes

The fall I remember at Kentucky was a few jumps before the finish…double of corners…Both
Boyd and William fell at the same fence…both said they were going at speed and going for the win…I do not remember a fall at Kentucky on a log on a hill

1 Like

Screen-recorded video from what was posted on Boyd’s FB page last spring. Landrover, double log combo at the end of course. This is just snippet, he posted full video.

I know this isn’t the point, but John Kyle is a treasure. So educated about the sport, so able to make it accessible, and so genuine in how much he cares.

11 Likes

I hope he will be at Pratoni!

3 Likes

Dana Cooke and FE Mississippi Named to Pratoni 2022 (equestrian.ca)

5 Likes

I totally agree. I love watching the horse go around but don’t love his record for a championship team. Since 2020, he’s clear SJ in 44% of his starts (8 of 18) and gone inside the time in 11% of his starts (2 of 18). When he made time at Maryland, he pulled two rails. Really hoping he’s an individual and not on the team.

2 Likes

Interesting, didn’t know that. I assumed because he was lighter in the body that he was had more blood. He appears smaller than Windfall, although his sire had only about 2 inches on him in height.

I would love to know the percentage if they did a follicle test like Etalon’s. I think he has quite a bit of blood, but probably more Arab blood than just TB from looking at papers.

Here is the breakdown from Etalon

Look into Windfall along with Quinn and Thomas

2 Likes

Thanks Trak_Eventer!

some of the Canadians are flying out now!! Good luck riders and safe travels :canada: :canada: :canada:

3 Likes

I have been scrolling through CMH website and I see NOTHING about Pratoni. I even typed it into the search engine. Are we sure they are showing it? I have already paid so I didn’t spring for Burghley this year.