Unlimited access >

WEG Pratoni 2022

Ooof - yes, before paying we definitely want to know they are going to carry it!

:crossed_fingers:

They are definitely carrying it. Just google Clip My Horse Pratoni 2022 and a link should pop up.

it isnā€™t coming up

It showed right up for me: https://www.clipmyhorse.tv/en_US/events/8092/fei-world-championships-2022-pratoni-del-vivaro

thanks. I swear I looked! and I entered in the search criteria and nothing came up.

I posted else-thread that Clip My Horse is in Germany and follows their laws for recurring subscriptions such as that you can be required to give a months notice.

Germany recently (late last year / early this year) changed some things and now companies are required to provide an easy online cancellation method. They canā€™t require an email confirmation, etc. Thatā€™s probably why you had an easier time of it than people did in prior years.

Hereā€™s some info: https://www.chargebackgurus.com/blog/germany-subscription-law

Soā€¦ yes, things should be better now, whether itā€™s FEI involvement or these new laws.

2 Likes

Definite Entries;

At the risk of getting flamed, I could see this team having things go (potentially) really really good. Or also really really bad.

Weā€™ve had some big pressure mistakes from 4 of the 5 riders on big outings before. And I truly hope that Ariel becomes the shining star of consistency.

Also for those that donā€™t knowā€¦ you can look up a horse on Horsetelex.com and at the bottom of the pedigree is their blood percentage.

https://horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/1705982/tsetserleg-tsf

Em

6 Likes

Not flaming, honestly curiousā€” who active in the US hasnā€™t had a ā€œbig pressure mistakeā€ in a major outing?

I think the only people you could say that for are less experienced combinations who havenā€™t had that opportunity yet, and that certainly doesnā€™t seem like any more of a gaurantee.

7 Likes

And, imo, this is part of the problem.

Over and over we take the same folks, who yes are the most experienced, but are they ACTUALLY the best or do their owners donate enough to USEF to continually merit selection over all comers.

In other (smaller) countries they wouldnā€™t select the people we select. Sure different norms, home events etc, but they continually select the ones that are actually the best and the message to the ones coming up is that you have to be better to be selected. And they ignore public outcry in some cases (OT anyone??? Where past indiscretions of that nature here would land a person off the lists for a LONG time)

Going back a few decades I can see a time where the selections were really sketchy, and at least now weā€™re developing better or were. Since weā€™re losing events thanks to our brilliant NGB, and losing more opportunities for many levels of eventers to get better, I really do think that weā€™ve got a more broken system at this moment.

With Erik, we were heading in the direction needed to compete with the stronger countries, but true American ideals interrupted the progression. If the rumors are correct that we lost a solid Chef due to poling and other training methods, then we shot ourselves in the foot. What do you think the rest of the world is doing to become better??? Theyā€™re not hiring teen age girls to fawn over the riders and tell them how wonderful they are, nor finding people to come pet the horses all day long and tell them how amazing they are. Shockingly there are ways to teach a horse and correct its form without crossing the line into abuse.

It takes work, training and improving the skillsets of the riders and horses up many levels, while keeping the animalā€™s health correct and strong to prevent injuries. Thankfully we donā€™t have the attrition of team horses the way we did in Australia in 2000 prepping for Sydney. That was just a wild game of ā€œOk, whoā€™s bowed today?ā€

I have some hope with Max becoming more that things could improve. But with team riders now continuing to train with Erik privately and a new Chef to be namedā€¦ it should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Em

4 Likes

This is not the case for Patroni?

1 Like

Wait wasnā€™t Erik the chef?

Boyd, Tami, Will Coleman, Lauren Nicholson (All existing Team members, some with multiple outings)

Ariel - Well deserved newbie.

Em

1 Like

Yes. And we lost him as Chef.

Em

I still consider a few of those relatively new.

and that is a bad thing if he was polling horses?

Iā€™m going to say this carefully.

There are bad ways of ā€œtrainingā€ and good ways of ā€œtraining.ā€

The descriptions I have heard would only alarm the most clutchy of the pearl clutchers.

The really bad stuff is still happening in the big hunter barnsā€¦ and probably with Andy Kocher still.

Thereā€™s especially a way when free lunging a horse (no rider) to teach it that itā€™s front end form is important, without hurting the horse or abusing it.

We have seen far worse things in the past and this, FOR ME, didnā€™t hit the sensitivity buttons at all.

Nor did the video from Ludger Beerbaumā€™s barn either.

Em

2 Likes

Call me miss clutchy then LOL

I donā€™t agree that any type or force, fear or abuse is necessary to train a horse. Shortcuts and cheaters maybe who donā€™t want to put the work in. Not going to go on a tangent but Iā€™m glad they rid anyone who does that stuff from high power positions.

Makes sense why Sexylegs is not a great showjumper still, having been polled and ridden in huge bits with draw reins for a year.

Clearly those methods arenā€™t working.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s fine.

I donā€™t condone draw reins, big bits etc.

I promise you the worst things I have seen were in the hands/barns of Olympians and REALLY expensive Hunter trainers with HUGE followings.

My barn, no cheating things.

The worst offensive item I have is 4x4 rails.

But in eventing a dangling front end is dangerous. So I get why its important to either try to fix that, or have the horse move to a less dangerous discipline.

Em

2 Likes

A thing to remember is that team selection is not just about the best horse, in good form, with appropriate experience. The worldā€™s are team competition and it makes sense to pick humans who can support and help their fellow team members. There isnā€™t room for individual egos. Also past experience is invaluable in that supporting role.In fact, as Iā€™m writing this, Iā€™m wondering if having a terrific groom is also a factor in selection? Never thought of that before.

6 Likes

I donā€™t know about poling allegations or anything of that nature.

I also donā€™t know what USEF/USEA/selectors are supposed to do at this point. Our era of eventing dominance ended when the long format went out the window at the same time most of our top riders were retiring, stepping away, or injured.

We send the same people outing after outing because they are not only our best, they also have the most horse power.

We complain about losing beloved venues and sky high fees to compete. We still complain when USEF leans heavily on riders with horse power and funding. But then we also complain we arenā€™t on the podium in international competition.

4 Likes