Woman Shot at Barisone Farm

She has a point and do not try to control the thread it never works out. All you’re doing is drawing more attention.

13 Likes

I take extreme offense to that. I am a law abiding person who never hurt anyone or shot anyone or ripped off anyone.

12 Likes

What she did to Girl Joey is unforgivable. Totally unforgivable in every single way. Nothing can erase what she did to her and no one can offer any explanation about why she did it. Something this horrible is incredibly hard to get past.

I hope that Girl Joey and Haleybot and many others can eventually move past the horrors of this woman. For sure MB, MH, JH, and so many others won’t be able to.

22 Likes

You take extreme offense to a lot of things. Just scroll.

19 Likes

How about taking your own advice. I am not the subject matter here.

7 Likes

I’m not being sanctimonious nor am I wading into the gun control debate. My original comment was in response to someone who said they might react in the same way if CPS were called on them. I don’t know a single Canadian (despite knowing many Canadian gun owners) who would think it appropriate to bring a gun in that situation. It is very much a cultural difference to feel you should carry a gun to a potentially volatile situation “just in case.” Brits, Canadians, Aussies, etc. just don’t tend to think about guns in terms of personal protection or self defence.

And since MB bringing a gun with him to confront LK (as far as we know) could show some kind of intent, it seems entirely relevant to the discussion at hand, at least as relevant as any of the other speculation everyone has engaged in for the past 132 pages.

Nobody is trying to turn the thread into a political discussion. But there is a difference of opinion amongst those of us who feel it was entirely reasonable for MB to carry a gun for protection if he felt LK was a threat, and those of us who don’t. I suspect much of the difference in how we view guns is cultural - clearly you don’t. We can agree to disagree about that.

7 Likes

But your lashing out all random like. It ain’t that serious unless your involved with the subject matter. And sorry @BigMama1 and I don’t always agree but she has always been a kind and fair poster. So knock it off. If your offended back away from the keyboard. There is enough drama in this thread without you creating your own. If you need more attention say so.

9 Likes

JUST STOP IT!!! This is why COTH forums get such a bad rap with posters taking so much personally and lashing at each other. The difference from FB is on FB we can block people who are provoking. Contribute to the thread or please be pleasant.

9 Likes

Funny how you make these posts when we call posters out for doing just that. Oh and this isn’t your thread and even if it was you can’t control it.

8 Likes

People, if we keep this up, the mods are going to close this to further posting.

Maybe we can all stop sniping at each other. As the charges wind their way through the system, it would be nice to not have to start a different thread to continue to discuss developments cause we couldn’t play nice on this one. We are supposed to be rational adults who should be able to discuss things without resorting to juvenile bickering.

23 Likes

So… I was just thinking about how much I am learning on this hundred-something page thread, despite the ups and downs. I have done “grey rock” since my teens (and never knew it was “grey rock”), learned something about tenant law, and got some insights on this tragic and incomprehensible situation. Thank you to all who are contributing their thoughts and knowledge.

At some point I’ll start reading about horses again :-).

13 Likes

Fall is coming so next we share recipes for Butternut Squash Soup… yummies!

6 Likes

It’s very good with shiitake!

4 Likes

And yet, I don’t know a single US American who would feel you should carry a gun “just in case” in a situation like this (despite knowing many, many US gun owners). This is not about culture, it’s about a f-ed up thing that happened as a result of the actions of a small number of individuals. Individuals whose risk assessment and (poor) decision making was likely driven by emotion and fear and a number of other complexities that are not peculiar to American culture.

I don’t think anyone outside of Canada cares in particular whether it seems unreasonable from a Canadian perspective. It seems unreasonable from a human perspective. Delving into national differences that have been codified not uncontroversially in law is asking for a political debate that doesn’t belong on a dressage forum.

14 Likes

I must have misunderstood your original post - I thought you had said it was NOT unreasonable for him to bring a gun if he feared LK would get violent. And I am certain there are many others here who feel that carrying a gun for protection in light of her alleged harassment and craziness was quite appropriate. (Carrying the gun, not using it on her. Nobody thinks that was appropriate).

I do have many American friends who feel this way - particularly those who live in the south - and am surprised you claim to not know a single one. The right to defend your property is deeply engrained in some regions / cultures.

Our personal view of guns will colour how we each interpret MB (allegedly) bringing a firearm with him when he went to talk to LK. Some will see it as clear pre-meditation and intent to harm her. Others will see it as evidence he was fearful and believed he needed a gun to protect himself.

4 Likes

Wow. I hadn’t checked this thread since the last week of August. This is the thread that just keeps on giving, isn’t it? I went googling for trial dates, but couldn’t find anything yet.

It will be interesting to see which way this goes. I get the frustration that LK can apparently cause, and see that it’s a clear pattern with her. I just don’t see a self defense case unless she was reading on the porch and pulled a deadly weapon when approached.

Did they maybe find a mini-bottle of cranberry juice at the scene? :lol:

I hope LK makes a full recovery and takes some steps to learn how to deescalate conflicts rather them seeming to look for them. Which doesn’t mean I’m excusing MB’s behavior, just that even when the result isn’t your fault, you should be able to clearly see that you didn’t do anything to help the situation. I hope MB realizes his own part in messing up that good life that he was mumbling about. It’s despicable that this kind of drama ended up in a shooting. :mad:

7 Likes

We don’t know the circumstances surrounding the shooting, and who’s gun was used. The available information seems to be coming from two rather sketchy witnesses.

14 Likes

Not believing anything posted here by LK. No one really knows what happened. At this point, the only thing that is clear to me is that we will have to wait till this all plays out in the courtroom. Playing the Southern Bell, Innocent victim clean and white as snow, is not passing the smell test. This will be an interesting case for sure and I’m sure the whole horse world will be watching.

9 Likes

Unless there’s a George Morris thing on TV at that same time. Then horsepeople around the country will be getting carpal tunnel from clicking the remote back and forth. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

@Knights Mom I’ve appreciated your contributions, many of which have educated me regarding the laws involved. I’ve chortled a few times at the hypocritical posts calling you out for being direct and, by their definition, rude, while simultaneously delivering petulant high school girl attitude.

I’m intimately familiar with abusive personalities like LK, and while violence is never the answer and no one deserved to get shot, her inability to acknowledge any accountability for the situations she has found herself in over and over again is the hallmark of her kind.

10 Likes