Woman Shot at Barisone Farm

Here in NC you file a complaint against someone at the magistrate office. They make the decision if there is grounds to file charges. Obviously, I had enough proof that they went forward with pressing the charges. After it’s written up and I sign then I was given a copy and the sheriff’s are given a copy to serve her with. When the sheriff’s physically serve the papers that’s when a court date is assigned. I am not sure another state would serve her for a case in NC.

5 Likes

For someone who does not care about the opinion of others (possibly the majority) you post an awful lot.

18 Likes

Haleybot, pls check your PM’s

I use a process server for Magistrate Court cases all the time. Call one in your area and ask them about it. I have served people in our neighboring state too. Location of where the defendent is served is irrelevent to the case.
https://www.serve-now.com/process-server/north-carolina

7 Likes

No they wouldn’t. I was explaining the rules of service in my state as often the rules are similar.

I find that states like Pennsylvania which are commonwealth states have totally different procedures. Is NC a commonwealth?

2 Likes

Awww… did I give you a booboo?

5 Likes

Quite possible that MB’s attorney would help get it served too… :wink:

8 Likes

I read the New Jersey Law on Child Abuse Reporting. It says anyone can make a claim “ in good faith” and not be subject to criminal charges or civil liabilities. If LK did call CPS charges could be filed against her for filing a false CPS report. It was not done in “ good faith”. No one is buying that.

8 Likes

I second go to the magistrate courts office. You can serve papers to other states going through a special process usually the Secretary of States Office. It might cost 100.00 bucks to do it but is well worth the money. They will serve her and if she doesn’t show up to court then they will find her guilty.

I have used this process before and it works. Good luck.

4 Likes

Could the charge then be reported to SafeSport?

There is one tier of crimes where the state prosecutes (murder, attempted murder, assault, robbery, etc) where the state barrels ahead with the prosecution regardless of what the victims says or wants, because these acts are seen as dangerous to the public in general.

There is another tier of crimes in the general interpersonal dispute category where honestly, the end goal of law enforcement is more to have everyone shut up and play nicely together than to chase the thing through the courts and have an actual trial. This would include alot of things on the spectrum of slander, libel, uttering threats (as opposed to actual physical assault and intimidation), screaming matches IRL or online, etc. Indeed, some of these “crimes” require you to retain a lawyer and make a civil case for damages (in libel or slander). Unless you are a major corporation with a big legal team, it can be hard to shut down libel online, and even then it is hard to make stick.

So yes, I imagine it is true that a lot of charges in this category essentially dropped or postponed. But if someone has attracted multiple charges of this kind, that is a huge red flag. It’s not actually that easy to get someone even charged with in these kinds of interpersonal conflicts. The victim needs to be persistent and the behavior of the accused needs to be quite exceptional for charges to be laid. Most of the time in these kinds of disputes, a call from a police officer telling the accused to just behave is enough to scare them straight. There is a lot that has to happen before the police actually lay charges of something like cyber stalking or harassment. it’s not a simple thing like a parking ticket.

Even if ultimately those charges aren’t pursued, are let drop, or expire with good behavior, the very fact that the accused person was charged in these matters says alot about them. Especially if they have accumulated multiple charges from conflict with multiple people.

6 Likes

Remember, SafeSport is regarding abuse of MINORS. That’s a common misconception that it covers everyone, but no, just minors.

I don’t believe your are correct>

Report to the Center for SafeSport
Make a report to the Center if you have a reasonable suspicion of sexual misconduct such as child sex abuse, non-consensual sexual conduct, sexual harassment or intimate relationships involving an imbalance of power.

9 Likes

Color me slow on the uptake, maybe, but why would the “absurd” prices for high end hotel rooms be an issue for a woman of “unlimited means”?

22 Likes

I had the same thought.
And why would she have to go back to a crime scene to get some clothes. Just buy new.

14 Likes

Is this person an adult?

25 Likes

My mom (rest her soul) always reminded me that if someone has to brag so much about how wealthy they are, then they probably aren’t. It’s an illusion.

33 Likes

I wish I wasn’t correct. I had the same misconception from reading the following on the USEF/SafeSport site:

[I]US Equestrian is committed to creating and maintaining an equestrian community free of all forms of emotional, physical and sexual misconduct. US Equestrian members and participants have a mandatory duty to report suspected sexual misconduct to the U.S. Center for SafeSport.

The USEF Safe Sport Policy includes the new USEF Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies effective June 1, 2019. These USEF policies and U.S. Center for SafeSport Code are aimed at protecting all participants in our sport. [/I]

But, if you report an issue regarding an adult, you are told they charged with protecting minors only. MANY are upset about this distinction and have voiced concerns. At a minimum, USEF should clarify their website.

Using the following directions, you are met with the “minor” edict again:
[h=3]Reporting Other Misconduct[/h]
USEF handles all reports of non-sexual misconduct, including harassment, hazing, bullying, physical, or emotional misconduct. Report to safesport@usef.org, or e-mail/call a representative on the Athlete Protection Team:

Teresa Roper, Safe Sport Program Coordinator
(859) 225-6915
troper@usef.org

Sonja S. Keating, USEF General Counsel
(859) 225-2045
skeating@usef.org

Emily Pratt, Director of Regulation
(859) 225-6956
epratt@usef.org

2 Likes

It sure sounds like she’s planning on staying in MB’s house for the long haul. The hotel room from her IG post looked more like a Days Inn than a Ritz Carlton, so was she complaining about the absurd cost of a Days Inn room? In any case, staying in MB’s house without paying rent is still a lot cheaper than either.

7 Likes

Is it reasonable to assume MB’s attorney can issue “OFFICIAL” eviction notices against the squatters and get them off the property they do not own? Or, simply just change the locks on all the apartments in the house and close it down. Bingo. Problem solved unless some legal document is produced by LK/RG indicating they have a right to be there.

4 Likes