Word to the Wise: Lesson Reminder for Everyone

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8098561]
Thank you. Actually, it is an interesting story. After she finished racing, she disappeared and no one knew where she was. She popped up at an auction and I said I would take her but before anyone could get to her a KB bought her and she was gone. Her breeder and several others searched to find her and she was eventually found on a truck and pulled. She was a mess and they asked if I was still willing to take her and I said absolutely yes! So she went into quarantine and I shipped her down from North Maryland. Have spend all our time getting her weight back up, eliminating rain rot, scratches, lice, infections, etc and she is doing really well. Looking amazing and beautiful. We are out there with her everyday and she is learning she is safe and she will never go anywhere. :slight_smile: She just turned 5. Her breeder was one of the main people looking for her and we have become really good friends. She is the best person to chat with! :slight_smile: And I am always sending pictures and telling her how things are going. She is an amazing person. Truly![/QUOTE]
What an off-balance entitled beyotch you are. :lol:

[QUOTE=Jealoushe;8098557]
Not making assumptions but assuming she would have mentioned if it was over 15"? :wink:

Right.

All jokes aside, if someone told me they didn’t want the saddle because they were going to get one to fit the pony, I would be thrilled.[/QUOTE]

:lol: You’re right, don’t know why I was assuming a pony would have pony tack or that said tack would fit. Silly me. :lol:

When you offer your pony as free to someone and have all that conversation back and forth for a month and lead them to believe that you are seriously considering them as the new care givers, it makes this a different situation in my mind.

I think she does owe the OP an honest explanation. Even if it was just to say that she can’t bear to part with the pony after all. To make up the claim that the tack must be purchased in order to take the pony is just crazy.

What happened to honesty out there? It is just common courtesy.

My advice to OP. Go out and find a pony to BUY.

OK. I’m going to stick my neck out here because…

…it wasn’t until the OP mentioned “special needs child” that I said to myself “uh, oh”. I looked but didn’t find in your transcripts where you told the owner the child was special needs. Maybe you did, and the owner reserved judgement until she could meet your child.

OP - Please don’t take this the wrong way, and I will try to say this gently - you really need to consider the pony owner may have reservations regarding the pony being the “perfect” mount for your particular special needs child, and her internal alarms went off when she finally met your child and saw the “special needs” first hand. There would have been no way the pony owner would have been sure of a good fit until she had seen your child interact with the pony. Now, you may be totally blind to whatever tipped the pony owner off, but there may have been something there.

Trust me - I’ve been in a similar situation with dogs/puppies. I know the heartache a parent goes through with a special needs child and how deeply the parent wants that child to have an animal to love, but from the other side of the coin the person who owns the animal (s) and is charged with providing them the best home they can reasonably find (sold or given away) will look at the situation from the animal’s POV and be better able to determine if the animal would, or would not benefit, from a partnership with the special needs child for whatever reason.

It may well also have been the owner’s child pleading with mom privately, while you were focused with your family with the pony, not to give away his beloved pony, and she had a change of heart. Or he just decided you were WAY too far away and she got cold feet with the thought of sending the pony 7 hours away where she would never see it to ensure it was being taken care of the way she wished. Hence, the “contract” never making the journey from the house to the barn.

The tack sale was both a test, and a deterrent. If the facility was as stunning as you claimed it was, it would have been obvious that the owner didn’t need to sell any tack, and may have just taken the ugliest stuff they had sitting around and used that knowing it would have backed anyone off. She may have decided that her final card to play would be “I’ve decided not to give the pony away. Sorry” but hoped to discourage you first with a tack sale requirement as the easier “out”.

Sorry this turned out to be a negative experience for you, but you did learn something from it. First - the next time you go look at a giveaway prospect take that trip in your car. Have the child try out the animal, and discuss everything without the pressure of immediately loading up and returning home. Second, as another poster suggested, look closer to home.

Your pony is out there somewhere, maybe free, or maybe with a “for sale” sign. Keep looking, and good luck.

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8098561]
Thank you. Actually, it is an interesting story. After she finished racing, she disappeared and no one knew where she was. She popped up at an auction and I said I would take her but before anyone could get to her a KB bought her and she was gone. Her breeder and several others searched to find her and she was eventually found on a truck and pulled. She was a mess and they asked if I was still willing to take her and I said absolutely yes! So she went into quarantine and I shipped her down from North Maryland. Have spend all our time getting her weight back up, eliminating rain rot, scratches, lice, infections, etc and she is doing really well. Looking amazing and beautiful. We are out there with her everyday and she is learning she is safe and she will never go anywhere. :slight_smile: She just turned 5. Her breeder was one of the main people looking for her and we have become really good friends. She is the best person to chat with! :slight_smile: And I am always sending pictures and telling her how things are going. She is an amazing person. Truly![/QUOTE]

That’s a great story! Good luck with her!

[QUOTE=SillyHorse;8098568]
What an off-balance entitled beyotch you are. :lol:[/QUOTE]

And way too enthusiastic. :winkgrin:

We really don’t know what happened. It could’ve been a scam or something else that made the pony’s owner add additional stipulations. Irregardless, had you gone out there and decided that the pony was too hot or something else, you would have gotten back in the truck and gone home. As long as you can back out for any reason, so can the other party.
Looking at horses and ponies is difficult, regardless of if they’re free or otherwise. These things fall through a lot of the time, and I agree, it can be frustrating and disappointing for adults, let alone kids.
I wouldn’t be too angry at her. For whatever reason it was, it didn’t work out. If you got a lot of offers, maybe you can find another giveaway, but hopefully you can talk to your kids and keep the excitement toned down and realistic until the pony is in your trailer. If you can back out, then you know the owner can too.

Wow, I think that may be the most longest and detailed post I’ve ever (taken the time to) read…

Personally, not knowing for 100% certain how this exchange was going to go…I would not have packed up 3 kids and have gotten them all excited ahead of time. Nothing is a sure thing, until it is. I would have made child care arrangements for the day and have just gone myself with the hubby and really not told the kids anything until pony was home and all was well.

Agree. I’ve never gone all excited to a sale/exchange like this, and as a seller or bystander have been turned off when buyers present this way :confused:. Sorry.

[QUOTE=pdq;8098588]
OK. I’m going to stick my neck out here because…

…it wasn’t until the OP mentioned “special needs child” that I said to myself “uh, oh”. I looked but didn’t find in your transcripts where you told the owner the child was special needs. Maybe you did, and the owner reserved judgement until she could meet your child.

OP - Please don’t take this the wrong way, and I will try to say this gently - you really need to consider the pony owner may have reservations regarding the pony being the “perfect” mount for your particular special needs child, and her internal alarms went off when she finally met your child and saw the “special needs” first hand. There would have been no way the pony owner would have been sure of a good fit until she had seen your child interact with the pony. Now, you may be totally blind to whatever tipped the pony owner off, but there may have been something there.

Trust me - I’ve been in a similar situation with dogs/puppies. I know the heartache a parent goes through with a special needs child and how deeply the parent wants that child to have an animal to love, but from the other side of the coin the person who owns the animal (s) and is charged with providing them the best home they can reasonably find (sold or given away) will look at the situation from the animal’s POV and be better able to determine if the animal would, or would not benefit, from a partnership with the special needs child for whatever reason.

It may well also have been the owner’s child pleading with mom privately, while you were focused with your family with the pony, not to give away his beloved pony, and she had a change of heart. Or he just decided you were WAY too far away and she got cold feet with the thought of sending the pony 7 hours away where she would never see it to ensure it was being taken care of the way she wished. Hence, the “contract” never making the journey from the house to the barn.

The tack sale was both a test, and a deterrent. If the facility was as stunning as you claimed it was, it would have been obvious that the owner didn’t need to sell any tack, and may have just taken the ugliest stuff they had sitting around and used that knowing it would have backed anyone off. She may have decided that her final card to play would be “I’ve decided not to give the pony away. Sorry” but hoped to discourage you first with a tack sale requirement as the easier “out”.

Sorry this turned out to be a negative experience for you, but you did learn something from it. First - the next time you go look at a giveaway prospect take that trip in your car. Have the child try out the animal, and discuss everything without the pressure of immediately loading up and returning home. Second, as another poster suggested, look closer to home.

Your pony is out there somewhere, maybe free, or maybe with a “for sale” sign. Keep looking, and good luck.[/QUOTE]

I could have understood if she had talked to us but everything seems to fall right on the gear. She knew all about my children. All of them. Watched them all interact and ride her. The pony was amazing and she admitted to it when I said how well she was around all of my children especially my special needs sweetheart. He rides regularly and helps me in the barn daily, so this is not new to him. The riding greatly benefits his muscular structure allowing him to walk and run better and he absolutely loves it! I have a hard time thinking it had anything to do with my children or me. I could believe it has something to do with her child, and I would expect him to have reservations about letting the pony go as it was his first one. But I would also expect her to talk to us about that especially given the fact that they continued to tell my children the pony was ours and going home with us. I am a mother and I understand. I also look at the fact that if it was my child who has long outgrown and moved on from the pony, that I would help my child understand that it is time to share her with others who are just her right size the same way another child shared her with him. If that wasn’t an option, I never would have started offering the pony to others in the first place and I definitely would not have told another persons children that the pony was their’s. Everyone is different and I can respect that. But there also needs to be a level of common courtesy and respect between all parties involved. Unfortunately, that was not the case this in this instance.

Add: We had also made the agreement that the pony was going home with us when we came down as ours, not as a lease. She knew everything was ready, trailer was rented and coming down with us to bring her back home. Meeting my entire family was done so that she could see that the pony was going to truly be loved and well cared for and how truly appreciative we were to her for offering the pony to us. I had thought it would also help her son say good bye knowing she was going to a family with children who already adored her. My Daughter showed that very clearly. My sons did as well. My children handled the situation very maturely when I explained that the pony wasn’t coming home with us, but this was not a lesson they should have had to learn in this way just yet. That is something I have to take responsibility for. Good intentions don’t always receive good intentions back unfortunately.

I have a hard time thinking it had anything to do with my children or me.

I know you honestly feel that way because you are standing on one side looking at your son with stars in your eyes and how the pony would be sooooo good for him. However, she was standing on the other side looking at her pony and quite possibly (not saying for sure, just for the sake of a different POV) thinking that the pony wasn’t getting the rider she was hoping for it.

The fact that The pony was amazing and she admitted to it when I said how well she was around all of my children especially my special needs sweetheart. ONLY references your son’s needs. Not her pony’s needs. I would hazzard a guess that at no point did she say “he will be just perfect for my pony”. Obviously, she didn’t think so. And her POV trumps yours because she owns the pony and her first responsibility is to the pony, not your son.

I have been in the shoes of the pony owner. I remember clearly one time having a set of beaming parents thinking their darling child “who wants to show in pony hunters and is riding at a high level already” was doing just perfect trying out a sainted small Welsh-X show pony I had, while I stood alongside them and saw exactly what they were seeing, but without the stars in my eyes, and thought “no way in HELL is this kid right for this pony!” I was seeing the reins being yanked back on that lovely pony mouth and the increasingly annoyed kicking by a beginner child with anger management issues to get the now confused pushbutton show pony to go forward on conflicting commands. And I killed the deal by stopping the trial and telling beaming parents “This isn’t a good match. You need to find another pony.”

I’m sorry you were verbally given expectations that weren’t realized. That sucks.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=pdq;8098789]
I have a hard time thinking it had anything to do with my children or me.

I know you honestly feel that way because you are standing on one side looking at your son with stars in your eyes and how the pony would be sooooo good for him. However, she was standing on the other side looking at her pony and quite possibly (not saying for sure, just for the sake of a different POV) thinking that the pony wasn’t getting the rider she was hoping for it.

The fact that The pony was amazing and she admitted to it when I said how well she was around all of my children especially my special needs sweetheart. ONLY references your son’s needs. Not her pony’s needs. I would hazzard a guess that at no point did she say “he will be just perfect for my pony”. Obviously, she didn’t think so. And her POV trumps yours because she owns the pony and her first responsibility is to the pony, not your son.

I have been in the shoes of the pony owner. I remember clearly one time having a set of beaming parents thinking their darling child “who wants to show in pony hunters and is riding at a high level already” was doing just perfect trying out a sainted small Welsh-X show pony I had, while I stood alongside them and saw exactly what they were seeing, but without the stars in my eyes, and thought “no way in HELL is this kid right for this pony!” I was seeing the reins being yanked back on that lovely pony mouth and the increasingly annoyed kicking by a beginner child with anger management issues to get the now confused pushbutton show pony to go forward on conflicting commands. And I killed the deal by stopping the trial and telling beaming parents “This isn’t a good match. You need to find another pony.”

I’m sorry you were verbally given expectations that weren’t realized. That sucks.[/QUOTE]

She did say her pony would be perfect for all three of my children several times and while there said her pony is more than perfect for my Daughter who would do very well with her. Also stating her calm nature is perfect for all three of my children and that they will be able to work around her without any issues. At no time did she say otherwise. We again fall to the gear and that I didn’t want to buy a saddle that didn’t fit when I had my saddle fitter coming out in which we were going to buy a new one that fit properly. And I don’t feel it has anything to do with us. Neither did my mares breeder after she spoke to her. She also got the same thing. “If we wouldn’t purchase all of her gear at their price, then how could we possible afford her care.” She did not care that it wasn’t a suitable item for any of us or that our ability to provide an outstanding level of care didn’t ride on a choice to not buy one unsuitable item we personally could not use when we agreed to buy the bridle that the pony went well in and liked. I wish I could say at times I am a newbie who gets all starry eyed, but I’m not.

I missed in my initial skimming that the pony was free–somewhat off-topic, I always wonder why people offer horses, ponies, heck, even dogs and cats for free. Surely it’s a good idea to demand even a token sum, for the buyer to demonstrate his/her seriousness and good faith?

How much was the saddle? Even if it was $500 for a useless saddle, that would effectively be $500 for a great pony.

OK. Final time. You’re still not seeing what I’m saying.

She did NOT say “your kids are perfect for my pony.” What you claimed she said, and what is vastly different, was “my pony is perfect for your kids.”

Some ponies are perfect for everyone’s kids. But when it comes down to “is the KID good for MY PONY” the answer isn’t always a positive one. Do you see what I’m trying to impart, and to have you see from a different POV?

Unless you call her and ask her to give you an honest answer as to why she pulled the transaction, or unless she comes onto the thread and explains her side, you’ll never know for sure. Maybe it was all about the tack…but…I greatly doubt it. I think that was just an “out” for them.

If it was me, I’d let it go as lesson learned, and look closer to home for another pony, including those for sale. Have your kids ride first, then negotiate the sale/take home/transfer of paperwork at a follow-up meeting.

There is a pony out there for you, I’m sure. Good luck. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mvp;8098495]
That kind of dishonest way out of a simple truth sounds like a bad idea. What if the OP had said, “You know what? The coercion worked: Here’s your money for the unwanted tack. Load up the pony”?[/QUOTE]
I agree with you. It could’ve backfired. I was just pointing out that it was a possibility on the PO’s behalf.

[QUOTE=pdq;8098890]

She did NOT say “your kids are perfect for my pony.” What you claimed she said, and what is vastly different, was “my pony is perfect for your kids.”

There is a pony out there for you, I’m sure. Good luck. :)[/QUOTE]

I’ll agree those two phrases are very different, but the seller shouldn’t have said that if she had reservations about making the deal.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8098744]
I could have understood if she had talked to us but everything seems to fall right on the gear. She knew all about my children. All of them. Watched them all interact and ride her. The pony was amazing and she admitted to it when I said how well she was around all of my children especially my special needs sweetheart. He rides regularly and helps me in the barn daily, so this is not new to him. The riding greatly benefits his muscular structure allowing him to walk and run better and he absolutely loves it! I have a hard time thinking it had anything to do with my children or me. I could believe it has something to do with her child, and I would expect him to have reservations about letting the pony go as it was his first one. But I would also expect her to talk to us about that especially given the fact that they continued to tell my children the pony was ours and going home with us. I am a mother and I understand. I also look at the fact that if it was my child who has long outgrown and moved on from the pony, that I would help my child understand that it is time to share her with others who are just her right size the same way another child shared her with him. If that wasn’t an option, I never would have started offering the pony to others in the first place and I definitely would not have told another persons children that the pony was their’s. Everyone is different and I can respect that. But there also needs to be a level of common courtesy and respect between all parties involved. Unfortunately, that was not the case this in this instance.

Add: We had also made the agreement that the pony was going home with us when we came down as ours, not as a lease. She knew everything was ready, trailer was rented and coming down with us to bring her back home. Meeting my entire family was done so that she could see that the pony was going to truly be loved and well cared for and how truly appreciative we were to her for offering the pony to us. I had thought it would also help her son say good bye knowing she was going to a family with children who already adored her. My Daughter showed that very clearly. My sons did as well. My children handled the situation very maturely when I explained that the pony wasn’t coming home with us, but this was not a lesson they should have had to learn in this way just yet. That is something I have to take responsibility for. Good intentions don’t always receive good intentions back unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
Maybe she suddenly realized what she owns is not a free pony, but a priceless one.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=rockymouse;8098395]
Am I the only one who would’ve just bought the tack if that’s what it took to get the pony?

I mean - the truck and trailer are there, the kids are excited, the boarding situation is set up…

Unless the tack was obscenely expensive, I probably would’ve handed over a check for it, even if it was too big or it was something I didn’t need. If the pony was a good fit, I’d made all the arrangements, made this big trip - I would likely eat the expense of the tack. (though of course, I wasn’t there)[/QUOTE]

You’re not the only one. It’s a perfect sounding free pony. The seller wants to sell the gear. Shitty to spring this on the recipient last minute-- but it’s a damn good free pony and I would have happily bought the gear, used what I could, and sold the rest. And considered myself still very ahead in getting a great FREE pony.

1 Like

I’ve heard of a similar scam with horse’s papers. Ohhh, this horse is free but if you want the papers the horse is $1500. Ohhh, this horse is $1000 but if you want the papers it’s another $500. I backed away from a few similar scams when I was horse shopping. Someone who tells you when you show up and they knew ahead of time that papers mattered is probably being dishonest about a bunch of other things.

If the seller wanted to make some money she should’ve sold the pony, not tried to give away a free pony with $10,000 in required tack.

I also fail to see how highlighting what the OP spent on the trip to see the pony is justification for her not deserving a free pony.

I am beginning to wonder if French Fry is the actual pony owner, and she just couldn’t grow a pair of balls at the time to let them know the pony wasn’t a good match.

1 Like

[QUOTE=pdq;8098890]

Some ponies are perfect for everyone’s kids. But when it comes down to “is the KID good for MY PONY” the answer isn’t always a positive one. Do you see what I’m trying to impart, and to have you see from a different POV?

Unless you call her and ask her to give you an honest answer as to why she pulled the transaction, or unless she comes onto the thread and explains her side, you’ll never know for sure. Maybe it was all about the tack…but…I greatly doubt it. I think that was just an “out” for them.

If it was me, I’d let it go as lesson learned, and look closer to home for another pony, including those for sale. Have your kids ride first, then negotiate the sale/take home/transfer of paperwork at a follow-up meeting.

There is a pony out there for you, I’m sure. Good luck. :)[/QUOTE]

I think you are over looking a great deal. However, not being apart of the conversations themselves or know the context in which everything was being discussed, I understand your point of view and why you arrived there. If you had been apart of the conversations themselves and had access to all written conversations, you would have a different view point from what you currently do.

My purpose in posting this again was only as a reminder for others to watch how much they put into something the other person has no vested interest in. I personally am looking for the best match for everyone involved. I do not mind traveling for or shipping a horse or pony as I did for my mare. I do expect, especially with the extent of the conversations and contact that we had, that when it was time to go and pick up the horse or pony, that they would follow through with the agreement that was made.