Word to the Wise: Lesson Reminder for Everyone

Forest for the trees, though!

Out of curiosity, how much did she want for all the tack/equipment? I bet it was less than bombproof ponies a special needs child can ride sell for?!

That particular lesson has been around for a looong time. It’s called “don’t count your chicken before they’re hatched.” Meaning: 1.You should not count on something before it happens. 2.You should not expect all of your hopes to be fulfilled.
Supposedly dates back to 16th century.

I never consider it a done deal until I have cash in hand (yes, even $1 for a freebie) and contract (if there is one) is signed by both parties.

Yes, it stinks you had to drive all that way, and incur the expense, but it sounds like feathers got ruffled and both parties decided on a no go.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8099020]
Forest for the trees, though!

Out of curiosity, how much did she want for all the tack/equipment? I bet it was less than bombproof ponies a special needs child can ride sell for?![/QUOTE]

Having purchased a lot of tack in my day, it was priced higher than it was worth in my opinion, did not fit properly and was unsuitable for our needs. I don’t see her being able to sell it for the price she was asking which is why she was pushing it so hard and then connecting it to us being able to take the pony when I went to load her in the open trailer. If she had discussed with me prior to us coming down wanting to sell the tack WITH the pony and not surprise us with the pony’s entire gear and it being a requirement to get the pony at the very end, then we could have discussed it. The way it was done was dishonest and underhanded and she knows this. I was honest and upfront about everything with her, it would have been nice if she had extended the same professional courtesy we did in return.

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8099117]
Having purchased a lot of tack in my day, it was priced higher than it was worth in my opinion, did not fit properly and was unsuitable for our needs. I don’t see her being able to sell it for the price she was asking which is why she was pushing it so hard and then connecting it to us being able to take the pony when I went to load her in the open trailer. If she had discussed with me prior to us coming down wanting to sell the tack WITH the pony and not surprise us with the pony’s entire gear and it being a requirement to get the pony at the very end, then we could have discussed it. The way it was done was dishonest and underhanded and she knows this. I was honest and upfront about everything with her, it would have been nice if she had extended the same professional courtesy we did in return.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it was shitty to spring it on you. I said that before But you miss the point. Was the price of the tack MORE than such an amazing PONY was worth?! Not was the tack worth that price. Was the PONY?

In other news, and I don’t mean this in a mean way but rather a self-critical way… a couple times on the thread you’ve missed the point someone was making. Just like this. I say “wasn’t the pony worth the price she was asking” you answer “no the tack was not worth it.” Missed the point. Earlier someone was saying “maybe she didn’t think your kid was right for the pony” you answered “no, the pony was great for the kid.” Missed the point entirely. So sometimes things seem to get lost in translation when you communicate. Put another way, you don’t always seem to read/hear what people are actually saying. You hear something different. Do you think maybe there’s some degree of that happening in your communications with the pony-owner?

2 Likes

[QUOTE=vxf111;8099137]
I agree, it was shitty to spring it on you. I said that before But you miss the point. Was the price of the tack MORE than such an amazing PONY was worth?! Not was the tack worth that price. Was the PONY?

In other news, and I don’t mean this in a mean way but rather a self-critical way… a couple times on the thread you’ve missed the point someone was making. Just like this. I say “wasn’t the pony worth the price she was asking” you answer “no the tack was not worth it.” Missed the point. Earlier someone was saying “maybe she didn’t think your kid was right for the pony” you answered “no, the pony was great for the kid.” Missed the point entirely. So sometimes things seem to get lost in translation when you communicate. Put another way, you don’t always seem to read/hear what people are actually saying. You hear something different. Do you think maybe there’s some degree of that happening in your communications with the pony-owner?[/QUOTE]

In regards to the pony question, no. The other poster was not fully aware of all the conversations to know what was meant and I said I understood how she came to that opinion. If she had full access to all the conversation, she would have a different opinion. In terms of you asking if the pony, not the tack was worth the price, no. As a full combination deal if I was looking to resell everything, then I would make up the difference but barely and only because the pony would be “free” and it wouldn’t have covered my expenses getting everything ready and going down. But it wasn’t my goal to resell. The pony is in her 20’s and it is showing. She needs a great deal of maintenance and you can see it clearly. She is going to be limited in the amounts of work she will be able to do which I was also okay with, but most wouldn’t be. The tack was over priced and didn’t fit well. It would have to be replaced and I would not have gotten back out of selling it what I put into it. I then would have had the additional costs of purchasing new and the services of the saddle fitter. The costs incurred in preparing everything to go and get her and driving down was worth it to me as it was costs for her and didn’t throw things to far out of balance in regards to her monetary worth, as she was also going to have sentimental worth teaching my children so that made up the difference. In other words, she was worth the money spent getting everything ready to go get her and make the drive because she was being given for free and we would have had her for the rest of her life. If I had to drive any farther, it would not have been worth it for her condition. The additional costs she tossed on at the end in addition to everything spent far out weight the value of the pony. If I had known the extra was going to be added as a requirement going in, I would have discussed it with her and if after finding it wasn’t going to work, used those funds to purchase and ship another pony down from up north or other location who would work.

And give me a little leeway here, lol. I have had very little sleep over the last few days. In fact, we left yesterday morning to head that way at 8am (meaning up at 5am) after getting only a few hours of sleep the night before from rechecking everything, and honestly, being excited about getting down there to get her. Yes, I am a happy, enthusiastic person and it kept me awake. :smiley: We didn’t get back to our house until after 4am which included dropping off the trailer at the barn. Then I had to get everyone to bed, unpack and replace everything and didn’t get to bed myself until after 6am and was back up before 8am and am still going. So I am seeing a lot of blurriness. :wink: I wish I could say it was worth it, but having my BO call me at 7:47 in the morning asking me where I put the pony because she wasn’t in her stall and her hay and feed is still there, sucks. I have two double size stalls right next to each other, one horse and a lot of disappointed people just as excited to meet her. I am glad we made the drive safely. That overall it was an easy, though long, drive. And that we have wonderful people around us who understood and are already pointing us in new directions. The right pony WITH the right owner will come up in time. Just have to have faith and patience. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good ponies are worth their weight in gold. If someone is giving one of these creatures away, like it or not they are entitled to do it on their terms and if you are taking one of these ponies you just have to accept that.

Whether a horse is free or for sale, unless a contract was signed no one is under any obligation to complete the deal no matter how far either party has driven. For example, if you arrived to pick this pony up and some random thing about it bothered you, you wouldn’t have been under any obligation to take it home. I think this is a pretty standard expectation.

I once refused to sell a horse to someone who had driven a considerable distance to come try it out–the horse just wasn’t suitable. I also once drove a considerable distance to see a pony and the owner refused to sell it to me. The pony went great when we were there, but on further reflection the owner decided (obviously knowing the pony and its range of behavior better than us) that it wouldn’t be the best match for us in the long run. I was disappointed, but very grateful that she was honest with us. It would have been a messy situation if we had gotten the pony home to find out that it wasn’t suitable.

My advice, don’t take this situation personally. When you go to look at horses, sometimes it doesn’t work out and you have to accept that.

1 Like

How much did she want for the saddle?

I once observed a seller refuse to sell her horse, at his asking price, to a buyer she had loved and thought was a great match. The buyer didn’t wish to also purchase the canvas cover that she was asked to purchase at the last minute. So seller decided potential buyer couldn’t afford to have a horse if she couldn’t come up with $100 for a cover on the spot. She never even asked the buyer why she didn’t want the cover ( buyer preferred synthetic covers) but instead made up her mind based on a story she also made up.

I think you’re seriously underpricing the cost/value of a been-there-done-that pony a special needs child can ride. People pay $5000 and more for these. Even aged. Even with maintenance. If they will pack any kid… They have a value.

So, again, how much did she want for all the tack/blankets to go with this saintly pony?!

1 Like

The price of the saddle, tack, and blankets is relevant to this situation. How much was it?

My other Arabian was a free horse; our farrier told us that his owners had been trying to give him away to anyone who would take him for the past two years.

We bought the crappy, overpriced hay that was offered with the horse as a gesture of goodwill. In five years, the amount we paid for the crappy hay won’t matter at all -what matters in the long run is that we got to take Sterling home with us permanently.

And, once we got his behavioral issues worked out, to our great surprise Sterling turned out to be a saintly, bombproof, “husband-safe” Arabian.

If I knew now what I knew then, I would have happily paid $2,000 for Sterling -this horse is a saintly schoolmaster. I didn’t know Arabians could be this placid and uncomplicated.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and take one for the team. Even if you know or think you know that you are probably being taken advantage of. What matters is your end goal.

My end goal was to take Sterling home with me to be a calm pasture buddy for my very hot Arabian gelding. If, three years ago, I would have gotten stuck on the principle of the thing and not bought the crappy overpriced hay, then I would not have Sterling the Saintly Arabian in my pasture right now.

So the price of the tack is relevant to this situation.

1 Like

[QUOTE=vxf111;8099322]
I think you’re seriously underpricing the cost/value of a been-there-done-that pony a special needs child can ride. People pay $5000 and more for these. Even aged. Even with maintenance. If they will pack any kid… They have a value.

So, again, how much did she want for all the tack/blankets to go with this saintly pony?![/QUOTE]

I could not agree more!! If the pony was worth the gas and trailer rental and time what would be a few extra dollars for tack?
I traded a young colorful sound gelding for an aged bowed falling apart little mare. Best deal I ever did even if most people thought it was stupid. My child could walk trot canter that old mare.

OP sorry it did not work out. When you add up the cost of rental and time would it not have been cheaper to spend that money to buy a nice pony locally?

OP, you would do well to stop posting. Your online temper tantrum has backfired and now you have a whole lot of people on the lookout for you should you come looking for another pony. I’m sure the seller has passed the word already. I know I personally would run like hell if you came to my farm now.

For some reason, you don’t seem to get what people are telling you. Grow up and move on. If this is the worst disappointment you and your children have in your lives, be thankful.

So there is no reason the seller/giver away er of the pony should have been more honest about what she wanted? Should have said ahead of time there was no deal unless the OP bought the tack?

i didn’t’ read all the posts, but if you are trying to get a free horse or pony, or one very cheap, what do you expect? As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and imo if an adult wants to take a chance on a free horse go for it, but choosing for a child and expecting a free one not to have hidden issues is unrealistic. There are some gems no doubt among the freebies but if they were sound, great tempered and well trained, they would be sold for decent $, not given away

1 Like

[QUOTE=Gainer;8099381]
OP, you would do well to stop posting. Your online temper tantrum has backfired and now you have a whole lot of people on the lookout for you should you come looking for another pony. I’m sure the seller has passed the word already. I know I personally would run like hell if you came to my farm now.

For some reason, you don’t seem to get what people are telling you. Grow up and move on. If this is the worst disappointment you and your children have in your lives, be thankful.[/QUOTE]
You must be reading a different thread. The OP has been nothing but calm and measured in her posts. Being disappointed and being miffed that the pony’s owner tried to pull a fast one does not equal a temper tantrum, even if you say it does.

Some people are telling the OP she should have bought tack she neither wants nor could use. I would have told the pony’s owner to pound salt, too.

3 Likes

[QUOTE=vxf111;8099322]

So, again, how much did she want for all the tack/blankets to go with this saintly pony?![/QUOTE]

The person who ‘underpriced’ the pony is the owner who offered it to the OP for free. Who cares what others pay for other ponies, the point is moot… the seller OFFERED the pony to the buyer for ‘free’… until she showed up.
Bait/switch?

Blaming the OP for expecting that which was advertised/offered is… lame.
That is not to say that the seller could not change her mind… but changing ones mind is different from offering X when what you really are offering is Y.

1 Like

…but having my BO call me at 7:47 in the morning asking me where I put the pony because she wasn’t in her stall and her hay and feed is still there, sucks.

Wait…what? You mean after the whole giveaway went down you didn’t alert the BO that the pony was a no-go?? In those 7 hours of driving you didn’t call, text, nothing? Not even a note left on the stall door with an unhappy face? Nothing?Nada? Zip? Just a confused and possibly concerned BO searching the premises next morning for wherever you might have otherwise stashed the pony, then calling YOU. Shouldn’t it have been the other way around, like, say, ummmm…hours before?

Am I missing something here?

1 Like

I have to say, I did get a beautiful free 7 year old registered Appendix QH who was blowing out so many abscesses that the owner did not want to deal with it anymore (she has several horses and was the kind that didn’t want to mess with endless medicating). I got him home and turns out his trim was off and he’s not had an abscess here in the 4 years I’ve had him. That is a different story. However, where I am going with this is that I met her and rode him (he was sound) the weekend before. She really wanted to make sure it was a good match. I then brought the trailer the following weekend and took him home.

Didn’t have tack issues as she rides Western and I ride English…

I have to side more with the OP here. If the owner was not sure, she should have had them come up, sans trailer, and meet/ride, then pick up (or not) the following weekend if they passed “inspection”. I would be pissed to spend all that time/money/anticipation for it to end they way it did. Who knows what the owner was thinking, and she should have handled it better, if indeed she changed her mind and used the tack as an issue. If what the OP says is true, it sounds like she was trying to be sure this would not happen in advance.

If the owner was trying to unload overpriced tack, shame on her.

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;8099386]
So there is no reason the seller/giver away er of the pony should have been more honest about what she wanted? Should have said ahead of time there was no deal unless the OP bought the tack?[/QUOTE]

The seller TOTALLY should have (assuming what the OP says is true) but she’s not the one pitching an online hissy because the deal didn’t close. The OP is. And, again, big picture-- if putting the pony on the trailer was THAT important to the OP, she would have sucked it up and did what she needed to do to make that happen.

[QUOTE=Angela Freda;8099423]
The person who ‘underpriced’ the pony is the owner who offered it to the OP for free. Who cares what others pay for other ponies, the point is moot… the seller OFFERED the pony to the buyer for ‘free’… until she showed up.
Bait/switch?

Blaming the OP for expecting that which was advertised/offered is… lame.
That is not to say that the seller could not change her mind… but changing ones mind is different from offering X when what you really are offering is Y.[/QUOTE]

Who is blaming her? Not me. All I am saying is she missed the big picture-- if the pony was THAT GOOD, buy the dang tack and don’t lose the amazing pony over a small peanuts amount of money that could be recouped in part by selling the tack.

1 Like