Word to the Wise: Lesson Reminder for Everyone

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8099783]
The pony has been referred to as a gift and free on multiple occasions.

Add: Her stated goal in all our conversations was to find a family with children for her who will love and care for her as they did and that if at anytime anything happens or doesn’t work out, that she would have the first option of getting her back versus being sold or given to anyone else. Which I agreed to.[/QUOTE]

I was only going by what you posted and that was what you posted to convince people that the pony was in fact stated to be ‘free’. I was just pointing out that that quote did not read ‘free’.

It’s not that difficult to figure out who the pony owner is…
One can search the member list by join date or post count (which you posted)

I think this all sounds like an unfortunate situation. But I really can’t get over the fact that it sounds like OP told the kids that “this was THEIR pony” before the deal was done (meaning, before you got her home safe and sound and all paperwork was a done deal). Huge red flag to me that your daughter was calling it “her” pony after a few phone conversations - yikes! Definitely putting the cart before the horse and not cute at all.

I leased my (first) horse out when I was 12 or 13 and I’ll never forget the family leasing the horse coming out and going on and on about how he was now THEIR horse and talking baby talk to him about how he finally had a mommy (and so on). I was a wreck. I knew we needed to lease out the horse, but the “he’s MINE now! MINE MINE MINE!” was really hard to take at that age. My parents pulled the brakes for a couple of weeks on the lease because they could see how upset I was (and how insensitive the new family was). Financially we had to do it and we did, but I could see how a different parent might lean the other way and change their mind entirely.

But back to the dealing with your own kid part. I have a kid and have purchased the kid a pony. I wouldn’t dream of telling her that a pony was hers while it was still at another farm. Even if we were going to try out a pony and she knew that it was for her the conversation all the way there would revolve around not getting her hopes up and continually restating that we’re just TRYING the pony. It might not work out for a million different reasons and boy have I seen things fall apart for that many reasons. I would (and have) reiterated again and again that the pony belongs to the people at the farm. Calling it “yours” is insensitive at best and frankly outright rude, even if you’re all just trying to be cutesy.

I agree that it doesn’t sound like you have much experience in the horse world. And this thread sounds like a passive aggressive way to “out” the seller and start a fight online. There’s no “warning” here, other than that which others have pointed out (don’t count your chickens before they hatch), which is so obvious that you seem to be the only one who’s missed the point.

I feel sorry for your kids and the disappointment I’m sure they felt, and it doesn’t sound like the seller handled things as well as she could have, but wow, the real failure to me sounds like this whole ill-fated family trip to get the pony without any backup plan in case it didn’t work out. You’re blaming the seller for letting down your kids, but at the end of the day YOU are the one who let down your kids by building up their expectations to start with. The seller may not have behaved perfectly (without hearing the other side of the story I’m hesitant to say anything and I realize that she could be anywhere along the spectrum of an innocent person watching out for her pony to a total scam artist), but at the end of the day the only person who’s going to protect your children from a situation like this is YOU.

So while I hope that perhaps this thread helps out someone else guilty of getting ahead of themselves, I really hope that writing it all out helps you figure out a better way to deal with a transaction involving kids and ponies.

1 Like

Classy. You just outed the PO with the join date. The more you post, the more I think PO made the right decision for her pony.

IMHO, if someone is looking in a certain price range, say a few $k, they would be best served by looking locally. That is, something where you can drive, see the horse/pony, and get back the same day. The time to travel a decent distance is when you are looking for some combination of specialized training, show experience, above a certain price level, or if you are looking to buy a younger horse from a breeder. Otherwise, I think it is best to stay local and see as much as you can in your own area.

Very easy! She has a FB page too and I think I saw a picture of said pony (if it is the grey on the wash rack after the trail ride photo). So who is going to contact her and let her know?? She is probably being bombarded! I would love to hear the other side of this story!

[QUOTE=JFJ;8099854]
Very easy! She has a FB page too and I think I saw a picture of said pony (if it is the grey on the wash rack after the trail ride photo). So who is going to contact her and let her know?? She is probably being bombarded! I would love to hear the other side of this story![/QUOTE]

OOps that was supposed to be with the quote about searching the members.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;8099442]
Well, if that’s really the case, I don’t see why you didn’t just have a pro hauler pick her up and bring her to your barn with the 30 day trial agreement in place.

Conveniently that skips loading the entire family into the wagon train for a two day road trip and also clarifies whether the seller is serious about dealing with you.[/QUOTE]

This right here. Why go through all this hassle?

[QUOTE=JFJ;8099854]
Very easy! She has a FB page too and I think I saw a picture of said pony (if it is the grey on the wash rack after the trail ride photo). So who is going to contact her and let her know?? She is probably being bombarded! I would love to hear the other side of this story![/QUOTE]

OOps that was supposed to be with the quote about searching the members.

Just to be clear, “I don’t want any money for the pony” does not equal “there will be no terms conditioning my giving you the pony.”

[QUOTE=JFJ;8099855]

Very easy! She has a FB page too and I think I saw a picture of said pony (if it is the grey on the wash rack after the trail ride photo). So who is going to contact her and let her know?? She is probably being bombarded! I would love to hear the other side of this story!

OOps that was supposed to be with the quote about searching the members.[/QUOTE]

This whole thing is bad enough, why don’t we run and tattle too?

OP, I think you failed to do your due diligence. Other posters have parsed your OP to show that the PO did NOT have a contract ready and was less than ready to send the pony off, in writing. I wasn’t there at the time you all showed up, I didn’t hear what was said or how it was interpreted and I too wonder why there was a 7 hour trip back sans pony and yet the BO didn’t get a head’s up - if I’d have done that to my trainer she’d have beaten me soundly.

Mutual fail.
Having said that, now I hope that a new pony finds it’s way into your lives and it is the excellent match that you hope for!

I could not agree more with what PNW just said. We bought a pony for our kids last year after they had ridden it multiple times, had done a vet check, etc. and still we waited almost a month to tell our children that the pony was theirs. We wanted to make sure that the pony settled in and was right for our kids. Setting your children up for disappointment by promising them something not set in stone is the wrong way to go about it if you ask me.

Our pony we bought was being looked at by another family at the time and the parents had promised the pony to their daughter (parents who after a month had still not written a check or gone forward with the transaction.) It caused huge drama when we bought the pony instead.

On the flip side, even if I were to have promised a “free” horse/pony to someone without first meeting them in person, I would absolutely trust my gut instinct when I had the opportunity to meet the family. My obligation is to the animal, period and promises amount to nothing if I were to feel that the situation just wasn’t right. I’m sure the OP’s kids are disappointed, but there’s a lot of drama here surrounding something that wasn’t theirs to begin with. I think there’s so many better ways that the situation could have been handled (leaving kids at home, driving solo to go meet pony first, having the pony shipped to you on trial, not telling the kids, etc.)

I did not realize she could be searched from what I posted as that was never my intent. She is able to respond if she wishes and she is choosing not to at this time. For you to go to the extent of tracking someone down shows at lot more about who you are than anyone else. She has the right to her privacy if she wishes to maintain that and while I unintentionally passed along information that would allow someone to actively search her out, that doesn’t mean you should do that.

I expect her friends to jump all over me because you are her friends. You are going to try to justify her actions in any way you can. That doesn’t mean what she did was right.

Add: And I apologize, I did miss responding that I had posted letting everyone know we were coming back empty and the barn manager saw it, but the barn owner missed it. So she was calling to ask what was going on as the barn manager was not currently there.

[QUOTE=ThreeWishes;8099809]
It’s not that difficult to figure out who the pony owner is…
One can search the member list by join date or post count (which you posted)[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, I didn’t even know that could be searched. But you’re right, with those two data points you can see right away as to who it is.

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8099876]
I did not realize she could be searched from what I posted as that was never my intent. [/QUOTE] If I were you, I would edit that post that points to her info.

OP, the truly classy thing to do would be to edit your posts so that the PO is not identifiable. I don’t want to bait you and I truly have no idea what the actual situation was. All I know is it’s poor form to come here, slam the PO and then out her like that.

Remove the info and carry on with the show.

ETA: saw you edited while I was posting. Good on you. Carry on.

[QUOTE=AndNirina;8099881]
If I were you, I would edit that post that points to her info.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=UlysMom;8099886]OP, the truly classy thing to do would be to edit your posts so that the PO is not identifiable. I don’t want to bait you and I truly have no idea what the actual situation was. All I know is it’s poor form to come here, slam the PO and then out her like that.

Remove the info and carry on with the show.

ETA: saw you edited while I was posting. Good on you. Carry on.[/QUOTE]

I already did. I was not aware I had presented searchable information and I immediately changed it. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

[QUOTE=Amiblue;8099876]
I did not realize she could be searched from what I posted as that was never my intent. She is able to respond if she wishes and she is choosing not to at this time. For you to go to the extent of tracking someone down shows at lot more about who you are than anyone else. She has the right to her privacy if she wishes to maintain that and while I unintentionally passed along information that would allow someone to actively search her out, that doesn’t mean you should do that.

I expect her friends to jump all over me because you are her friends. You are going to try to justify her actions in any way you can. That doesn’t mean what she did was right.

Add: And I apologize, I did miss responding that I had posted letting everyone know we were coming back empty and the barn manager saw it, but the barn owner missed it. So she was calling to ask what was going on as the barn manager was not currently there.[/QUOTE]

She does have the right to privacy, and you would do best to edit that data out of your post.

Just to join in because why not?

1. I’m not savvy on this board and I could figure out who it was, so yes that was easy.

2. I do think the original poster was here to vent, not remind anyone of anything.

3. that being said, I do see why she is upset. It wasn’t just the op telling her kids this was their pony, the owner did too. That’s wrong. You don’t promise and involve kids if you have any doubts/ulterior motives or whatever it is.

I see the vague “I don’t reall want money for her…” Comments as kind of a set up. And the vague comments about “I haven’t had time for a contract we will do one tomorrow” (multiple comments of different kinds putting off a contract) as though the owner hasn’t quite decided how much money she wants for her.

I think she may have said the pony was free, and then realized it was a mistake for whatever reason to give away a nice pony to someone she doesn’t know. I think she figured “well let me get something out of this, and if not thet will walk away and I can find someone else and sell this time”

Also, I think that by this point even if the other party does chime in they will not tell the truth.

They have read 8 pages of everyone saying it was the op’s fault and they can jump onto any of the arguments made by other people.