Unlimited access >

Most Bizarre gone wrong thread?

The OTTB saving owner from a cattle stampede was a great read…even had us begging for updates…too bad it was just really well written fiction :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was one 2-3 years ago. Horse issue, don’t remember, but when posters started to question her treatment, she claimed to be a vet and got very indignant at being questioned, repeatedly stating she was a vet… You could tell she was A: not a vet B: pretty young. Fortunately or unfortunately, the user name she was using was actually that of her mother, a real vet. One of the posters contacted mom’s office and told her that her daughter (13 maybe) was posting as her on COTH and put the kibosh on that.

4 Likes

@leesa1 you are my new favourite person…having a good giggle here

Ol’ Rowdy is an absolute saint! I had no idea that all horses know what the word “bit” means. and jerking the bridle from side to side is the way to check for fit, and clanking the bit against his teeth is a sure way to get him to open his mouth. If I thought bunny hopping over a jump was what you wanted your horse to look like, I would be laughed out of the ring. I think the only one missing is the “How I feed Rowdy his grain” video with her scooping out half a coffee can of sweet feed. Very scientific and informative.

Wasn’t there one from someone else who was showing how to put on a blanket and kept calling the surcingles, surgicals?

I remember that one! She was showing how to feed horses “oats” but what she scooped out in the tin was corn.

A new fresh candidate. It’s not nearly as vicious as some of the older, longer ones already referenced. But it’s getting there, thanks to being nicely goosed along over the cliff.

Plus the topic goes well up there on the list of damn silly thread topics that eventually plunged hard & far down into the ravine.

3 Likes

I took a peak at that one a few days ago, but held off from commenting when all the whatcha-bout arguements started. Seems like a lot of people are really upset by something relatively simple.

2 Likes

… that has no research backing it. That’s my issue. If this was an honest to god horse welfare issue, none of us would do it. But realistically, it’s not a horse welfare issue. It’s a feel-good maneuver to take the heat off the important stuff such as:

It’s legal to do this to your horse in warmup:

And Marilyn Little can do this and that’s ok:

And flash bands can be this tight and that’s fine:

2 Likes

i haven’t been on for awhile as my laptop gave it up! Had to ask for a new password. But anyway…is it ok, that the IRONY of this thread to share ones that went sideways to now have this one do the same thing? 2020 JUST HAS TO END.

11 Likes

The irony is not lost on me.

3 Likes

I can understand people not being happy with it! There are always people upset with any change to the status-quo (good or bad). I’ve watched threads go off the rails over all sorts of non-important details that had nothing to do with welfare or training methods, let alone ones actually about welfare or training methods. My two favorites were people getting upset about the color piping allowed on jackets during hunter classes and the ugliness of non-braided hair for showing.

O man I saw the eventing one and… OOF. A lot of bad takes in there.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Eventing Nation booted from covering Event in Unionville, PA

So now the “Most Bizarre gone wrong thread” about train wrecks has turned into a train wreck. The irony is so thick around here. :laughing:

13 Likes

truth, makes me sad. wish they would have begun their own, and then joined the top 10 here. was meant to share specific threads that fit that criterion…not infuse one within it. :frowning:

This one went weird, with the OP deleting posts, but they had been quoted for the most part. The end was really bizarre. Would anyone?

1 Like

@skydy — which OP?

1 Like

Are you serious? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sorry, but honestly yes! my laptop died and I haven’t been back on this thread for ages…but I began it…so am I the OP you meant? :frowning:

I believe they meant the OP of the thread they linked in that comment!

ok, didn’t see a thread link…operating on an old tablet until new laptop is received and charged/set up.