Unlimited access >

Please tell me about your Catokis!

I’ve loved Catoki for a while, and I’ve seen some of his offspring in the Junior/AO jumper rings, and they also look super pleasant. However, I know he gets a reputation for throwing nice hunters, so I’m curious about what type of temperament they have under saddle. Odds are once they’re actually jumping around they’re out of my budget, so I’m wary of picking up a prospect without knowing more about what he produces. Does he tend to throw a consistent type? Or is it more variable by mare?

To give an idea of what I’d be looking for, I tend to prefer catty, forward-thinking but reasonable types which is what drew me to him. Definitely nothing huge, or a tank, or a serious kick ride - needs to hunt the fences. Sensitive is fine if not encouraged. So I’m open to stallion/line suggestions that produce that type, as well.

Basically any info on your Catoki crosses and how they’ve developed under saddle would be super helpful!

While I can’t speak for U/S just yet, I bred a '17 colt not yet ready for backing, and so far I see brains and relaxed ease of going. One simple session with pro in free jump showed incredible scopiness and a relaxed horse. Not certain if he’s a hunter or jumper but I think both is there. No doubt I would breed to him again, but brain is my goal before other qualities

I saw a few in Germany and they were agile & catty types. But they were very rideable and sensible types. Shorter backed & not tall. Opposite of a Cassini type.

Thanks to you both. A good brain is so priceless, even if it ends up not being my type of ride there’s always a market for a good sane horse.

Goodmorning, that sounds like my ideal type and backs up what I thought about what he was producing. Definitely continues to sell me on him. Interesting note about the Cassinis, he doesn’t show up often in the bloodlines of the horses I like which would fit.

I’ve ridden three or four. I also leased one. He had a really light way of going, kind of soft across the ground and athletic/scopey but not pounding over the jump. You felt like he was going to last, he went easy on his body even over 1.20m+. He was a carbon copy of Ludger’s Cool Down. He was a little bit spooky, but if you schooled a cooler, you could jump anything in the ring. And he could go around quietly if you wanted for round 1 and absolutely turn it up for the jump off.

One thing I’ve noticed is that Catokis tend to have super rhythmic and thus amateur friendly canters. You can spot the distance a mile away. Almost every single one I’ve seen has his same super cute face and nice compact body. I’ve read that they develop quickly, which is nice for breeders unlike say a Kannan which can take a bit more time. I would happily take another one.

Thanks for the info from a riding perspective! Your lease horse sounds right up my alley. I don’t mind a bit of spook or sensitivity in a jumper at all, as long as they go over! That canter is another definite selling point, I think that’s why I’ve noticed them is they seem very adjustable and overall rideable. And the cute face doesn’t hurt either :wink:

1 Like

I have “Catoki’s AS” catoki x landgraf I. best horse i’ve ever had. 17.2, bay and chromey. I am a young, small junior (4’11") the BEST brain. not spooky AT ALL. never batted an eye. kick ride.

typo: 16.2. not 17.2

Why are you responding to year old and two year old threads? Especially on the breeding forum, there is a good chance that many things have changed since the OP.
It seems that almost every post you have made here has been in response to threads that are years old.

Starting a new thread about your interests is a better idea than dragging up old threads.
You don’t have much experience in breeding horses, as a young junior you can’t have, and your posts reflect that. There is much to be learned by reading old threads, but reviving them is usually pointless.

You would do well to read up on the history of Redwine and the owner’s legal difficulties. Becoming aware of the situation before extolling the virtues of using him would be wise. :wink: Spinoff- Controversy of Redwine affect the value of his offspring?
Doing business with JILL BURNELL? BEWARE.
Jill Burnell - Gray Fox Farm (CA) update

5 Likes

i’m sorry

It’s OK. Just a heads up. :slightly_smiling_face: