Unlimited access >

Trainer says I'm ready for my first horse, but I have doubts

Long time lurker here, first time posting. So I’ve been riding 3x a week at a competitive h/j barn in NY for about a year now. The other day my trainer suddenly told me I should look into buying my first horse. To be honest I was a bit surprised, considering how I typically hear of people riding for several years before purchasing their horse/leasing, etc. However I’m still a novice rider, I can w/t/c with and without stirrups, sit trot, count strides, feel wrong canter leads (but can’t do flying change) hand gallop, etc. but I haven’t even started jumping cross rails yet. I can’t ride with steady contact yet or get my lesson horse round.

She goes out to europe occasionally to buy younger horses to bring home to train. She says she can look for an experienced older horse for me, a 1.10 schoolmaster essentially, to teach me the ropes and show for a few years then resell (or keep) once he hits his max height. I told her I’m very worried about “ruining” my horse, since I’m still in the beginning stages. She says there is no doubt I would depreciate my horse, so to help keep him sharp I should sign him up for training rides several days a week. She says having my own horse would advance my riding at a much faster rate than lesson horses would.

This sounds wonderful, my entire life I’ve dreamed of having a horse and since I’m an adult now I’m fortunate enough to be in a situation where finances aren’t a problem. However, I’ve read on these forums of trainers pushing beginners to buy advanced horses to the rider becomes dependent on the trainer. Do you guys think this is the case here, or does she have my best interests at heart? Do you guys think I’m ready for a horse? I’ve spent my spare time the last 2 years reading equine books, equestrian YouTube videos, forums, etc.

1 Like

You sound very dedicated with taking lessons three times per week. Great job.

It seems strange to me that someone would want to import for a beginner adult who is not jumping yet at a hunter/jumper barn.
But really, I can only guess what your trainer is thinking, I do not know them.

Think about what they have done with other clients for a bit. Does your trainer have a history of buying more horse than the rider can handle or finding the rider just the right horse that the owner is happy with?

33 Likes

All that talk from your trainer sounds fine, but also way premature with what you say your riding stage is.
Sure, your own horse, the right horse, would be great to learn from what that specific horse can teach you, but at your stage you will learn way more from riding all kinds of other horses.

Happen to my older cousin, that was way more talented than I was.
She fell in love with a new horse to the stables that came for sale and her riding stalled and she never really learned much more than what little riding one horse can teach, for the many years she had that horse.

I think you are smart to consider what your trainer wants, that seems to benefit the trainer, gives her not only a student but a horse to board and train and commission from finding the horse for you, all that in your situation seems it could get expensive if all goes well, or terribly expensive if it doesn’t.

I would think that is just one more way your riding can proceed, you will need to weigh what you want out of learning to ride with what your instructor is offering.
If you decide not to go that route and need an excuse you can say you looked at your books and don’t have that budgeted for, that should not disappoint your instructor too much.
Maybe consider leasing first?

Others here will have more for you to go by, I expect it will be fun either way you go.

7 Likes

this is strictly my opinion, but I would think there are hundreds of horses much closer than Europe to buy, that would cost a good deal less. Even if money isn’t a real concern, unless she wants you showing in Florida, which at your stage seems unlikely, I would look closer to home.

41 Likes

Has your trainer helped others in this kind of situation? Has it worked out well for them? I would be very leery about importing a horse from Europe, if you’ve only been riding for a year, even at 3 days a week. There are many horses suitable for a beginner to learn on, that you do not have to import.
And if you haven’t even started jumping yet, I don’t understand why she would suggest this, unless it is financially beneficial for her (commission, training costs and board, etc). jmho

28 Likes

@trubandloki’s advice is very good: if you have been there a couple years, you ought to have some feel for how this trainer has worked with others.

Buying and selling horses is a big part of some trainer’s business (and a 0 part of others). There are commissions involved, training fees, etc. I’ve no idea where you are, what the local horse market is like, how much promise you have, how much showing you want to do, what discipline you are ultimately interested in – all those things factor in.

For amateur owners in the U.S., Hunters is about the most expensive niche. Dressage can be quite spendy. We could probably have quite a lively conversation about whose path to where was most paved in gold. GENERALLY speaking, one’s first horse is someone else’s trusty-rusty, who has already had his day in the sun, and those are generally found locally not across the planet (I don’t even know if Europe is across the planet from you!) Of all the riders I’ve known from the U.S., not a single one of the “first horses” were imported and had to be maintained by the trainer, but my background is limited to my own experience.

Maybe it would work out very well. Maybe not.

18 Likes

The order of things here makes me wonder if there are any lesson horses capable of teaching a beginner to jump. Generally, pop a xrail comes after w/t. That being said, most lesson horses aren’t going to be teaching you a flying change or flatting on contact, so if those are your next steps your own horse is probably necessary. Look around you. Are you the most advanced student still on a lesson horse? Has anyone else moved from the lesson program to horse ownership?

9 Likes

@Seagram @trubandloki Other boarders do talk very fondly of her finding their horse for them. There is a boarder with an over 20-year old horse here that still wins at big shows. I will say I lesson at a barn thats out of my league, I’m actually surprised my trainer took me under her wing. I do feel lucky to be surrounded by experienced riders.

@CBoylen That makes sense that lesson horses wouldn’t be able teach those movements. I guess I hadn’t considered that, and felt like it was my lack of skill. My trainer has told me she works rather slow, to lessen the risk of her rider’s falling over jumps. I do enjoy practicing dressage but I wouldn’t show in it.

The other thing is, I don’t see other lessoners. There’s only one lesson horse, who which only works once per day so other lesson riders aren’t there when I am. Everyone else has their own horse. Another frustrating thing is they are constantly at shows, so I will go several days in a row without riding.

1 Like

Right well that makes things simple. If there is only one lesson horse, then anyone who can afford to needs to buy their own horse.

7 Likes

Many western show barns only take on clients with their own horses to train and train the clients and go to shows.
They are not riding centers for the public to learn to ride.

Maybe that is how your barn is run?

2 Likes

So I’ll start by saying it is true that the best way to improve your riding is by getting more time in the saddle. Many programs don’t have the lesson horses to support riders as they move past basic W/T so it can be difficult to navigate that middle ground. Compared to her other clients you probably aren’t very profitable for your trainer’s program, and I’m guessing you’re getting to a point where you either need to fall in line with what everyone else is doing or move along. It’s nothing personal, it’s just that your current needs and her business model aren’t really a good match.

However, importing a show horse from Europe just to put it in a program of training rides isn’t really the logical next step for where you are in your riding journey. You aren’t at a point where you should be worried about a horse’s value “depreciating” while you own it. Yes, training rides can be a useful tool for keeping a horse tuned up for a novice rider, but a good teacher type for you really shouldn’t need more than 1 training ride a week, if even that. Most people in your shoes would move to a half lease on a horse that can do more advanced work but doesn’t require the expense and responsibility of ownership. Those with the time and money to support it may purchase a steady “been there done that” type whose main value is that he does not need multiple training rides a week to be a good teacher for his novice rider. Buying a horse is a huge commitment that you should only make because it’s something you really want and are certain you can afford - not because your trainer doesn’t have enough lesson horses for you or you’re afraid of having to find another barn.

What are your riding goals and how much time and money are you looking to put in? If you have serious competitive goals and the money to throw at them, maybe staying with this program and looking for something to buy would make sense. You’ll want to do your own research and seriously consider the financial aspects before you move forward, don’t just take your trainer’s advice blindly. If your goals or resources are more low-key right now, which is a totally reasonable position for someone at your stage of riding to be in, you may have to start looking for another program that can better meet your needs. Frankly I think you’d probably have more fun at a barn that was less show-heavy, where you could meet other people with similar goals to you and do some local shows while improving your skills, but that’s a personal decision you’ll have to make.

Whatever you do, don’t feel like you owe anything to your trainer at all just because she got you this far - this is a business decision for both of you, do what makes the most sense for your situation regardless of your relationship with the trainer.

27 Likes

Ah that’s enlightening!

I don’t think you need to import and put a horse into training, especially if you’re not even jumping yet! Even the best schooled European horse is probably going to go around and want to be ridden in a different style than you’re used to. That can be challenging when you’re learning new skills like jumping.

Personally, I’d ask if there is a horse in the barn that might be up for half lease or full lease. Potentially the trainer needs you on your own ride to progress (totally understandable), but is also thinking a bit with their wallet here (import + training). I’d hope they’d bring up a lease if they had one available, but it can’t hurt to ask! You can just say that you want to progress but buying is a lot to take on right now, is there any way to get your feet wet with a half lease or something in-barn?

Leasing would get you ride time but still give you an out if things change. You’re more likely to be able to show and do other things with a lease as well.

15 Likes

but I have doubts

To me this concern is Real and should be considered wholeheartedly

Over the decades we have had horses we have acquired a LOT of expensive stuff from people who had jumped into horse world that had been talked into some major dollar purchases

I just caution OP to be careful as I want their experience to be a long term proposition, the industry needs new blood that will remain.

17 Likes

I missed this on first read, but this right here makes me think you need a new trainer no matter what else is going on. As someone who hasn’t even started trotting crossrails, you 100% do not need a 1.10m schoolmaster from Europe. You shouldn’t even be thinking about things like “max height” since that won’t be relevant for you for a very long time. It can take years to go from your first crossrail to being comfortable jumping 3’ courses, and it’s really unlikely the horse you need right now would be suitable for taking you into bigger classes down the line.

Your trainer wants a commission on the sale and import, and to start collecting board and training costs from you. I don’t totally blame her, it is a business after all, but she’s not looking out for your best interests.

46 Likes

While as a dressage rider, I certainly wouldn’t mind not trotting a crossrail at a barn after lessoning for a year :sweat_smile: if you’re at a h/j barn and your goals are explicitly jumping AND you have been taking lessons 3X a week, that sounds to me like your trainer is preserving her one lesson horse from jumping (understandably so).

But that also highlights how her interests and yours as a rider might not be aligned. As others have said, the fact she wants you to buy a horse isn’t that you’ve passed some mystical test that now allows you to enter the world of horse ownership, but to move along in her particular program, you need to own. This is more and more common at many barns, as lesson barns are dying out in many areas of the country.

Personally, if you have doubts, I think you should pass. Owning a horse is a big emotional and financial commitment. If you’re not eager to do so, but need to be convinced by someone else, you’re not ready.

Also, I agree that what she suggested to you sounded more as to what works for her program than what would be ideal for you. Ideally, IMHO, you’d half-lease a horse for a few months, maybe even two horses, and get a sense for the type of horse you’d like. Ideally, your first horse would be a steady Eddie, honest type horse who could take a joke and point-and-shoot over small jumps (this is just my personal opinion, others may disagree). But it sounds like her business model is getting a horse that is show ready as possible, and will require training rides.

Since you have means to lesson 3X a week, I would suggest taking a lesson or two at different barns before you own. You should at minimum ride more than one horse before buying. You might find a more compatible barn culture as well.

15 Likes

My question… if they show slot and your horse needs “training rides” , how does that happen?

6 Likes

If you acquire your own horse now are the facilities available so that you can ride on your own, and on your own schedule, outside of lessons?

Look at your own personal time schedule for the times when you will want to go ride alone. It is a bummer to have your own horse, and then find that there are major conflicts with other folk’s lesson times and availability of an arena for you.

3 Likes

With the additional info….
Only one lesson horse available.
Barn is gone to shows often.
Everyone else owns their own horse.

I would ask the trainer if there is a suitable horse on the property, that the owner would be willing to due a 1/2 lease on.

11 Likes

Just based on the way you asked the original question—do you WANT your own horse? I would never go down that road unless you just really want to have your own horse. I’m not there in your place, but it sounds like some other people’s motives are involved in this. And they might not be yours.

2 Likes

@gradytb Of course! Owning a horse has been the goal from the beginning, in fact the thought brings tears to my eyes. I just see on social media people talking negatively about beginners running out and buying horses and I don’t want to fit that stereotype I guess. I’m very critical of myself and I doubt myself a lot, I just want to do the right thing. Since I’m so new to this sport I always look to more experienced people for advice.

In response to those above, the only other horses at the barn are too advanced for me or are other people’s investment horses so I will ask my instructor about finding a lease for me! We’ve talked about it before. A stranger horse to move to my current barn if possible. Maybe I can post an ad on social media as well. Hopefully I won’t need to worry about “depreciating” my leasor’s horse lol

I appreciate all of your advice. I read every comment. Business is business sometimes and I can’t blame anyone for that. Gotta keep the lights on!

7 Likes