Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

This is true. It basically becomes an involuntary commitment - regular hearings with an administrative law judge to determine if the person still needs that level of treatment. In a case like this the treatment team is likely to be extra cautious about advocating for release.

Most of the time this defense is used, it’s for much lower level stuff, so people can be kept in treatment for much longer than a sentence would have been.

3 Likes

This is super long, but details the process in NJ a after an acquittal by reason of insanity. So, yes, he could be committed for a long time.

If he’s found guilty, well, US a prisons don’t do much for mental health, except perhaps help it erode. However, he does appear to have outside support that could help facilitate something for him within the rules of whatever prison he ends up assigned to.

Edit to add link: https://www.njcourts.gov/notices/2020/n200812a.pdf

2 Likes

I don’t know either, but hopefully since he knows what safe and functional feels like, he can regain that balance.

I bet it will come in waves which with time and treatment will happen less and less. It never totally goes away but you can live with it.

My basis for saying this is my own experience with PTSD.

10 Likes

FYI
Of course I know it’s about opinions here and that they don’t have to be unbiased. There are, however, some posters who claim to have no bias when they clearly do. Which is fine, just the denial part is odd. The winking smiley meant that I was being lighthearted and saying something in jest. The fact that this older post is what stood out to you on this thread is interesting, and thank you so much for your OPINION. I didn’t know that’s what a these boards were about!

:joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

A quick review of posts I made that made Lauren furious (must have been fairly accurate) and several of her replies:

Aug '21

Again - who elevates cat litter boxes over beds?

In addition, what was Lauren doing in MH’s children’s room or rooms? Those are private areas, not common rooms. Well, my kids’ bedrooms weren’t for public display.

Jan '20

Starving cats don’t produce much feces; I don’t know anyone who keeps litter boxes above beds; also if you saw and photographed this but didn’t report it then you’re also in the wrong.

Were these cats in the other side of the house? Where MB, MH and others wouldn’t venture? If that side was condemned, why didn’t YOU trap the cats so their owner could retrieve them? What would that have cost you in any way? A few bucks?

Jan '20

You posted an accusation, stated you had photos but didn’t lift a single digit to get the situation addressed and help those animals. All you had to do was report it to animal control. That reflects on your character.

You did take the time post the accusation on someone’s Facebook page though. After August 10, 2019. Classy.

MorganSercuGreenie

Jan '20

I don’t believe her, but to post such an awful falsehood tells people a lot about her character.

However, if she has a dog that has bitten more than one person I would argue she isn’t a good dog owner and put her dog at risk. So, not outright cruelty but very irresponsible of her. Which goes along with not accepting responsibility.

La-LaPopRiderHalfway Bronzed

Jan '20

How the hell would you know what I did or did not report? Oh. You wouldn’t.
Your constantly starting threads on all things MB says a whole lot more about your a character than mine. Don’t you dare proceed to dictate “all I had to do.” You have no clue. Literally, no clue.

MorganSercuGreenie

Jan '20

I suspect if you had such photos and could use them to demonstrate your pure and noble soul, helping cats despite being “deathly allergic” to them, you would. Instead, it makes people wonder what the heck you were doing snooping in private living quarters, taking photos of said private spaces and threatening to use them in some manner.

”‹I stand by my statement that all you had to do to help those cats was file a complaint and provide the photos. Or ask someone in your family to do it. Your father is an attorney, he would assist you. For free. You had time and energy enough to post about it after August 10th. Provided you weren’t lying, of course.
”‹”‹”‹
I started one thread. Please explain how that is “constantly starting threads on all things MB”? New math, perhaps?

MorganSercuGreenie

Jan '20

Again, please explain how starting ONE thread suddenly is starting multiple threads, let alone doing so “continuously”.

Show your work.

6 Likes

Hmm. Again, sounds a lot like someone who “knows everything,” but with a bit of a slant towards one side. :thinking:

7 Likes

Just doing a little reading on it, it seems like it is very common for those who suffer from it to have had childhood trauma. It also says it is very difficult to treat, but that the dissociative times can come and go. It seems like he was in that state for a bit of time, at least throughout his therapy sessions. It seems as though he has a good team of Drs working with him at least.

4 Likes

With regards to prosecution‘a rebuttal witness… how much weight could a psychological professional carry if they haven’t examined MB personally?

What can they say, “sometimes people fake it?”

Hypothetically, could a psychiatrist or psychologist be called on by the prosecution and then decline to testify because they agree with the defense? Are these professionals paid by the defense/prosecution for their testimonies (I would think not, but I’m clearly ignorant here)?

I think he is institutionalized until the facility psychiatrists deem him to be not a threat to himself or others. I don’t think he gets to pick and choose but I think he can hire an outside mental health expert who may be able to intercede on his behalf. That can be a short time of a life time. I think an example is the guy that shot Reagan.

2 Likes

Generally speaking, it abates with time and removal from the person(s), place(s) and event(s) that led to the event that finally pushed them over the edge. A support team, including mental health professional(s) who specialize in trauma, can go a long way. But family, friends and outlets are important too.

3 Likes

They are usually paid by whomever calls them. They have to answer questions truthfully. Both sides get to question them. They can not refuse to answer something other than plead the 5th, which isnt a good move.

1 Like

I do. I also think I asked how in the world she knew what medication(s) he was taking and why. I recall she said they were for his narcissism and I brought up that the only medication with which I am familiar for a Axis II diagnosis is lamotrigine/Lamictal (for BPD and not everyone can take it).

So I figured she was rummaging through his medicine cabinet or other private areas.

8 Likes

The rebuttal witness should have had some opportunity to interview the defendant. And if that report comes back similar to the defense experts, the prosecution is just not going to use that witness, although the’d still have to give the report to the defense.

And yes, experts are paid by the side they’re working for, which is why Mr B made sure he had both of his experts testify that they have been an expert for the state or the defense in the past.

2 Likes

Question:
Has IM testified yet? Or will he possibly be a rebuttal witness?

2 Likes

No way to know as we do not know, nor can we speculate upon, IM’s real-life identity.

6 Likes

If the state’s expert came to the same diagnostic conclusions about diagnosis, but just didn’t agree that MB couldn’t remember, is there much value to them testifying to that?

I mean, MB has always had the right to not testify…and the basis of the defense is that he was delusional, not that he couldn’t remember…

3 Likes

EDIT TO ADD a what I was responding to. (Still trying to get used to the logistics here)

“If the state’s expert came to the same diagnostic conclusions about diagnosis, but just didn’t agree that MB couldn’t remember, is there much value to them testifying to that?

I mean, MB has always had the right to not testify…and the basis of the defense is that he was delusional, not that he couldn’t remember…”

Personally, I wouldn’t think so. However, someone else might think that if they can prove he’s faking one thing (the amnesia) he’s probably faking the rest, which they could argue in closing statements.

2 Likes

I used to be much more judgmental about such things until I started to use voice to text. Which is a fantastic feature, but not always completely accurate. Lol.

5 Likes

IM’s still reading just now

7 Likes